HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - General Discussion: Queen Theory and WritingBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Olly: Queen Theory and Writing28 Apr 2018 21:11
Hi guys I regularly return to this great great site and today was one of those days. Reading some of the in depth song analysis it got me wondering - how much understanding did Freddie/Queen have of music theory when writing. Were these guys able to understand what was musically going on to the level of the analysis or was it more likely it just came naturally and they wrote what sounded good, which happened to involve a lot of borrowed chords, secondary dominants and modulation. I would love to write my own music but I always find anything I write to be boring. And one of the things I love about Queen music is that virtually every song has these elements, like the modulations and secondary dominants, that I think make it interesting. Even if I try and force a secondary dominant in any music I try to write it does not sound flowing like Queen. So were they thinking "let's use secondary dominants to make our music interesting" or did it just turn out that way from the music in their head? Interesting to know your thoughts. ps - your text form does not appear to work in Chrome

Post was edited on 28 Apr 2018 21:12
pages 1