HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Dr May interviewedBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Dr May interviewed21 Dec 2007 13:40

www.guitarplayer.com

Nice recent interview where Bri discusses arrangements and songwriting.

1.PD 21 Dec 2007 16:25

It seems to be interesting. Going to read this night.

Thanks!

2.angel 23 Dec 2007 22:44

Oh my God that´s such a wonderful interview! Many thanks to Sebastian for posting. I really enjoyed every single letter. The more it fels in the age of shallow fashion-oriented commercial interviews.

Post was edited on 27 Dec 2007 18:23
3.LG 09 Jan 2008 18:34

A little piece of information here: www.brianmay.com

4.PD 11 Jan 2008 05:48

A bit of information from the interview: those mysterious bells in Killer Queen are indeed bells, and not guitar as I suggested.

5.Sebastian 31 Jan 2008 11:57

It may seem like some sort of hindsight bias, but "I told you so" ;)

6.PD 01 Feb 2008 05:22

Yes you did, Seb! :)

7.Sebastian 17 Jun 2009 14:42

The comment about Bijou having Fred in charge of creating the guitar lines (and May in charge of the vocal lines) reminds me of the old discussion: how can (and do) you write for an instrument you haven't mastered? Of course it's easily solved in classical/jazz, but in popular it's a different matter.

Just gonna 'flag' it and add more things later. Please, everybody contribute... the more the merrier!

8.angel 17 Jun 2009 18:44

I think it´s not that difficult, IF you have at least basic general theoretical knowledge about music (like notes, keys, chords, etc, which Fred definitely had). AND if the two (in this case Bri and Fred) understand each other in the field of composing (like the language style, vocab, etc). Then it´s all just about harmony (can be interpreted by chords), melody (by notes) and rhythm (by clapping or just showing). It´s not a great deal, it just takes more time to do it properly, so as a musicians and as humans the two cooperating persons must be very patient and passionate about music to undergo the procedure. But I don´t think it´s a great problem. If you ask me, how would I do it, I would just write down the harmony mainly, using chord symbols, and remember the rhythm and melody.

9.Amy 04 Jun 2011 14:42
I'm here too late....
pages 1