HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Queen IIBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Queen II25 Feb 2007 14:34
'Procession' is one of my favourite analyses from you, I think it's perfect as it is. 'Father To Son' is brilliant too imo.

'White Queen': One of my favourite analyses as well, and one of my favourite songs lately. Maybe, if you could expand your analysis about the solo, that'd be ace!

'Someday One Day': As you pointed out 'Modern Times' was the first Queen track Roger sang, it'd be important to comment that this one was the first one sung by Brian. I'm trying to find influences for this one, have you had any luck with that?

'Loser In The End':

> In fact, the guitar does not sound very close to the classic Red Special tone at all.

Very good point and very good ears. It does sound more Bolan-esque and we know for a fact that Brian already owned a Stratocaster by then. So there you go... there are some RS-bits there perhaps, but at least the double-tracked rhythm seems to be definitely a Fender.

> Note that the cowbell motif reappears in the second phrase
> It has the cowbell motif again

It's actually a marimba, as you mention earlier in the article.

-------

'The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke':

> the harpischord and castanettes the latterboth played by Roy Thomas Baker

Actually just the latter, since harpsichord was by Fred.

> The crashing drumsound is segued from the preceding track (Ogre Battle)

It's actually a gong

> carried in the piano, clavierchord and partly also in the bassline

Actually harpsichord and clavichord are not the same thing, similarly to oud and lute when it comes to guitar-like instruments.

---

Regarding 'Black Queen' and 'Funny How Love Is', nothing to add at the moment.
1.PD 26 Feb 2007 13:58
Thanks Seb, your help is always welcomed!

> 'White Queen': if you could expand your analysis about the solo, that'd be ace!
In what area? Harmony, arrangement (guitars vs. piano).

> first one sung by Brian.
yep. to be added

'Loser In The End':
> In fact, the guitar does not sound very close to the classic Red Special tone at all.
I dont dare to draw deeper consequences than this.

> Note that the cowbell motif reappears in the second phrase
> It has the cowbell motif again
> It's actually a marimba, as you mention earlier in the article.
Gonna be changed.

> The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke':
> the harpischord and castanettes the latterboth played by Roy Thomas Baker
> Actually just the latter, since harpsichord was by Fred.
there are plenty of typing errors. As soon as I'm through the series, the whole thing is going to be doublechecked once again by me then by Bohardy.

> The crashing drumsound is segued from the preceding track (Ogre Battle)
> It's actually a gong
OK, go'ng to fix this. BTW I'm going to be discuss with a drummer within 2-3 months about instruments and rhythmical tricks.
2.Sebastian 26 Feb 2007 16:12
I think your 'II' analyses are much better than those in 'I', probably because the songs are more complicated and have more details to comment on.

Regarding 'White Queen', I think a comment on the melody of the acoustic guitars would be perfect, and sort of a Bible for any arranger. Scale fragments, "paraphrased" licks, etc. Just a thought ;)

Now that you're going to issue first the I - Jazz period, will you change the schedule of your analyses to cover the earlier songs only?
3.PD 27 Feb 2007 21:11
Yes since DontTrySuicide I'm doing exclusively pre-Game period songs. Waltzer, Son And Daugther, and this morning I nearly completed Sheer Heart Attack...

Hm I'm trying to see the Queen I analyses more critically. The longer the better?
4.Sebastian 27 Feb 2007 23:54
Not quite ... I mean the level of detail. I'm particularly pleased when you draw parallels (as with 'Procession' and 'Speak To Me').
5.Agogobell 12 Jul 2012 03:08
Nope, that's a bell of some sort. Agogo bells? :-)
pages 1