HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Queen On StageBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Queen On Stage03 Oct 2006 20:45
Some comments on each song live (changes respect studio version, evolution, etc):

---------

KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE
Introduced to the set in 1970
Recorded in 1971 and then again in 1972

This one was integral part of the live set especially in the early days, and played in full version. Noticeable differences: tambourine was merely used as ornament rather than part of the accompaniment, Freddie sang along Brian's part ("two steps nearer to my grave"), solos used delay to compensate for the fact there was only one guitar instead of a broad layer.

Roger's drum solo was almost identical during the first half of the seventies, then it slightly changed. From Opera tour onwards it was begun to be played considerably faster than the studio version, and from Jazz to Game/Flash tours it was often introduced by referencing other songs (Fun It, Back Chat or even Under Pressure).

During 'Works' tour it was reduced and played as part of the medley with other oldies.

-----------

DOIN' ALL RIGHT:
First played live by Smile in 1969
First played live by Queen in 1970

Done as a guitar version before they recorded the album, and from then on performed with Freddie on piano (only ballad bits). Nice three part harmonies.

------

GREAT KING RAT
First played live in 1970

I've only heard one live version of this one in early tours, as far as I remember the arrangement was quite similar except that of course it lacked acoustic guitars and tambourine played a similar role to that in 'Keep Yourself Alive'.

During Works tour it was recovered to be done as part of a medley with 'Stone Cold Crazy'. An important difference is that it now featured synths.

--------

LIAR
One of the riffs was part of Fred's former bands' set

One of the few songs that featured some improvisation and extended sections, although minimally compared to other bands. No organ or acoustic guitars in the arrangement, some changes in the drum intro.

-------------

SON AND DAUGHTER:
Recorded in 1972

Opener during early days (at least in 1972). The solo gradually evolved to become the one in 'Brighton Rock'.

--------

THE NIGHT COMES DOWN
First played live in 1971
Recorded in 1971

Part of the set after John joined. Probably the same version.

--------

MODERN TIMES ROCK N' ROLL
Recorded in 1972 and several times afterwards

Sung by Freddie and featuring a "rock and roll" coda, quite different from the album take.

-----------

JESUS
First played live in 1971

No piano (I guess), rehearsed during Barry's period but only played during Deacy's.

--------------

FATHER TO SON
First played live in 1973
Recorded in 1973

Some sections were left off.

-----------

WHITE QUEEN
First played live in 1974
Recorded in 1973

Live version featured Freddie on piano during second verse, bridge and solo. No backing vocals or acoustic guitars.

-----------

OGRE BATTLE
First played live in 1972 or 1973
Recorded in 1973

Intro featured some noise by Brian, then after making the riff twice, he was joined by bass and drums. A new speeded-up section was put in the interlude, allowing some rehearsed "improvisation". Interesting three-part harmonies.

---------

THE MARCH OF THE BLACK QUEEN
First played live in 1974 (SHA tour)
Recorded in 1973

Only the heavy bit was done, with Freddie at the piano during instrumental parts, and sharing lead vocals with Roger. The last time it was played was Hyde Park.

----------

SEVEN SEAS OF RHYE
First played live in 1974 (SHA tour)
Recorded in 1973 (instrumental spinnet in 1972)

Full version (without the chant) was occasionally played live in the early days. Then it was resurrected for Works and Magic but only first verse and chorus. Basically a guitar-bass-drums arrangement, with Freddie playing piano only during intro.

--------------

BRIGHTON ROCK
Recorded in 1974 (demo in 1973)

First as part of a medley, then played full version, then replaced by Instrumental Inferno and during Works tour only solo and outro were done. Roger sang along with Freddie the "girl" part. The solo was notably more sophisticated live (and using two echoes instead of one).

-------------

KILLER QUEEN
Recorded in 1974

Never done in a full version. During SHA tour it was merely verse + chorus + solo and then they went to 'Black Queen'. From 'Opera' onwards they added the second cycle but it was always part of the medley. Not done during Hot Space and Magic tours. Featuring John on triangle during mid 70s.

----------

FLICK OF THE WRIST
Recorded in 1974

Introduced by Brian, then Fred did the piano intro. Similar version to the one in the studio.

---------

NOW I'M HERE
Recorded in 1974

Some extended bits, no piano (synths though, in the 80s). Excellent live versions by Brian.

-----

IN THE LAP OF THE GODS
Recorded in 1974

Intro was shortened to some piano arpeggios with drums and guitar making noise. The song allowed some improvisation and featured some great screaming parts by Roger. No backing harmonies besides those, and most live versions have more accurate instrumentation than the album.

-------

STONE COLD CRAZY
Recorded in 1974
Part of Fred's pre-bands' set

Apparently a very similar version from early on.

-------

BRING BACK THAT LEROY BROWN
Recorded in 1974

Done almost entirely instrumental with double-bass parts replaced by a regular bass. Brian played the banjo solo, sometimes a bit longer, and there was a nice chord-build up between Fred, Roger and Brian (in that order), making it one of the few songs where Brian sang the highest note. The other was Hangman, where they did a similar cascading harmony (singing the title word).

------

IN THE LAP OF THE GODS ... REVISITED
Recorded in 1974

Featuring piano intro in the 70s, and in Magic Tour shortened to first cycle plus extended chorus. Magic tour version was guitar-oriented with synths, and Fred's piano entered only through the end.

-------

DEATH ON TWO LEGS
First referenced live in 1975
First played as such in 1977 (Races tour)
Recorded in 1975

During Opera tours Fred thrown in "death on two legs is tearing me apart" during the 'Prophet's Song' canon. At Races tour it was done in full version, with Freddie playing piano only during intro and solo. From News onwards it was done as part of the medley with Fred playing piano all the time (shortened version of course).

Notable differences in the piano intro (less technical, but faster); arpeggio patterns are slightly different compared to the album take. Nice cymbal noises instead of the multi-layered guitars of the studio version.

-----------

LAZING ON A SUNDAY AFTERNOON
First played live in 1975
Recorded in 1975

Only performed sometimes during Opera tour. No chordal harmonies, but instead Roger sang along the "Louvre" line with Freddie.

------------

I'M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR
First played live in 1977 (News tour)
Recorded in 1975

Sung by Roger (with Fred on piano and backing vocals), usually as part of a medley and shortened to be cut before the second pre-chorus. Also played by Roger on his solo tours (playing electric guitar instead of drums) and on the recent gigs with Paul (but sung by Roger anyway).

-------------

YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND
First played live in 1976 (Races rehearsals)
Recorded in 1975

During the mini-tour it was played full as the first song in the medley, with Freddie playing piano and Brian and Roger on harmonies. Guitar parts throughout as opposed to the studio version, and some very interesting post-solo licks. From Races tour onwards it was shortened to the first cycle and then solo, there were melodic variants and usually ended with a piano arpeggio. Dropped from the set in early 80s, its outro was recycled for 'Crazy Little Thing'.

For a short while it was the only song by John in the set.

----------

'39
First played live in 1976 (Races rehearsals)
Recorded in 1975

Noticeable differences: fretless (except 1976 and tribute) bass instead of double-bass, and at Hyde Park Brian used a 6-string acoustic instead of the 12-string. Fred sang it instead of Brian, and they dropped the first part of the intro. Harmonies were more "normal" than in the studio version.

Played in G instead of Ab btw. Recovered for recent tours, and at the tribute they dropped the second verse and chorus.

-------------

SWEET LADY
First played live in 1975 (before its actual release)
Recorded in 1975

Slightly faster sometimes and allowing a bit of improvisation by Brian. Less vocal harmonies.

-------------

THE PROPHET'S SONG
First played live in 1975 (before its actual release)
Recorded in 1975

Of course simpler arrangement (guitar-bass-drums), with extended a capella interlude. At Races tour it was done on a medley with White Man, thus reduced to the reprise only (similarly to Son & Daughter).

--------------

LOVE OF MY LIFE
Recorded in 1975

The most different song compared to the studio version. Done only by Brian and Freddie and mostly sung by the audience. After Fred died it's sung by Brian on his solo tours or when he's with Roger. Brian sings it beautifully.

I love Nuno's and Gary's version as well, and Scorpion's.

-------------

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
First played live in 1975
Recorded in 1975

Several changes: first done as part of the medley, then "full". Opera and intro bits were never performed live. From Hot Space onwards they added synth (organ) in the reprise. No backing vocals as opposed to the album version.
1.PD 04 Oct 2006 10:41
Thank you, it was very informative. Waiting for more to come!
2.Sebastian 05 Oct 2006 21:57
TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN
First played live in 1976 (before its actual recordings)
Recorded in 1976

Dunno about pre-recording versions. From Races to Game/Flash tours it was done with a similar arrangement albeit each time slightly faster. Harmonies were arranged much simpler, and from Works tour onwards there are synths too. It's nice to check the several different solos done by top guitarists throughout the years (Slash, Vai, Satriani).

--------

YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
First played live in 1976 (before its actual recording)
Recorded in 1976

Done by Freddie on his own (piano + vocals). Pre-recording versions were more melodically similar to the album version.

--------

THE MILLIONAIRE WALTZ
First played live in 1977 (Races tour)
Recorded in 1976

Shortened version played as part of the medley. Fred was at the piano except during the rock part. No harmonies by Brian or Roger, and during the slow bit Fred's voice is harmonised (Brian too used harmoniser for his solo).

---------

SOMEBODY TO LOVE
Recorded in 1976

Legendary versions, done similar to the album arrangement although there's more guitar (e.g. during verses) and less piano (e.g. "he works hard everyday"). Works tour added synths and was shortened since it was part of a medley with other oldies.

--------

WHITE MAN
Recorded in 1976

Played as medley with 'Prophet's Song'. Similar arrangement as far as I remember.

--------

GOOD OLD FASHIONED LOVER BOY
First played live in 1977 (Races)
Recorded in 1976

Last verse was dropped, and there weren't any percussion overdubs. Harmonies were simpler, and Fred sang Mike's part ("hey boy"), except at TOTP, where Roger did so. Solo was changed for obvious reasons, and it nicely segued from 'Killer Queen'. Fred was all the time at the piano.

-----------

TEO TORRIATTE
First played live in 1979
Recorded in 1976

'79 versions were very beautiful with Brian at the piano, Roger doing ornaments with the drums, and audience singing. They dropped the bridge. '81 versions were sometimes a capella (just chorus), '82 ones were full-version (Brian played guitar from bridge onwards and sang harmonies, Roger only sang along the title line and "oh my love my love", outro was done on synths by Fred Mandel).

-------------

WE WILL ROCK YOU
Recorded in 1977

Drums replaced the stomp-stomp-clap percussion, and there were some guitar (and bass?) notes added during the intro. Fred let the audience sing it, especially from Jazz tour onwards.

Of course there was a fast version too, which was brilliant.

--------

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS
Recorded in 1977

Vocal arrangements were notable different (Roger actually sang the lead part at the end of the chorus and Fred did a lower harmony). Note that in Japan '79 Brian took over the lead bit instead (and sang it beautifully too). Synths added in 1982-1986, and Fred usually introduced it playing twice the "I've paid my dues" bit (instrumentally).

----------

SHEER HEART ATTACK
Recorded in 1977

John and Brian replaced Roger's bass and guitar parts, Fred destroyed loudspeakers and amps, Roger assaulted the drum-kit at the end of the vocal part. During 'News' tour it was added as second encore (after 'Champions').

--------

SPREAD YOUR WINGS
Recorded in 1977

Introduced by a piano bit by Freddie, and having a nice extended outro. Brian and Roger sang backing vocals, as opposed to the album version which hasn't got any.

---------

GET DOWN MAKE LOVE
Recorded in 1977

Loads of harmoniser things both for vocals and guitar. During several tours it was put on a medley with other tracks. Roger sang backing vocals.

--------

IT'S LATE
First played live in 1977
Recorded in 1977

Similar to the studio version, although less "wild" in the speed-up.

--------

MY MELANCHOLY BLUES
Recorded in 1977

Shortened version (it ended right after the piano solo), without Brian and with John on fretless bass instead of a regular one. Fred sang it without falsetto.

---------

MUSTAPHA
First played live in 1978 (or later?)
Recorded in 1978

Usually just the intro. When played full it was done without the second verse+chorus, and notably faster. When it was finished Fred entered to a piano solo and then introduced 'Two Legs'.

--------

FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
First played live in 1978
Recorded in 1978

Vocal arrangement was different, and they dropped the guitar intro to make it more similar to the single. I love Brian's versions in 'Another World' tour, they sound wonderful.

---------

BICYCLE RACE
Recorded in 1978

More guitar, less piano (Fred stood up during the verse), and shorter (ended up before the solo). Roger did the "on your marks, get set go" line and choruses were mostly instrumental.

----------

IF YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM
First played live in 1978 (or 1979?)
Recorded in 1978

Roger sang some lines with Freddie, Fred played piano through the end (which was absent in the album). I love this one live.

---------

LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU
Recorded in 1978

Similar to the album version, but without piano, and Brian's harmonies were less noticeable.

----------

FUN IT
Recorded in 1978

Only done as a spinnet before KYA sometimes. Sung by Freddie.

------

DON'T STOP ME NOW
Recorded in 1978

More guitar, extended break, less harmonies, no glockenspiel. This one sounded superb live, it's a pity they never played it after Crazy Tour.

-------

PLAY THE GAME
First played live in 1980
Recorded in 1980

Done without synths, there are less harmonies and Fred did a short piano intro.

----------

DRAGON ATTACK
Recorded in 1980

Done without drum-solo, but once John did his bass show-off. No additional percussion and no backing vocals. Sandwiched between 'Now I'm Here' and its reprise.

--------

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
Recorded in 1980

Done in the same key it was recorded. Extended interlude, more dynamic drums (using loads of electronic pads until Works tour) and with Roger on backing vocals.

-----------

CRAZY LITTLE THING CALLED LOVE
Recorded in 1979

Fred played acoustic guitar until 'Hot Space' tour. Introducing piano players allowed more improvisation by Brian at the end and the song was notably longer and faster. Roger and Brian sang harmonies, Fred played electric from 'Works' onwards.

-------------

NEED YOUR LOVING TONIGHT
Recorded in 1980

Brian and Roger on backing vocals, Fred playing piano at the end. This one sounded great live too.

-----------

ROCK IT
First played live in 1980 (or 1981?)
Recorded in 1980

Fred sang it all, there was no organ, and only played scarcely. Roger did sing it (only the intro) during a Cross or solo concert once.

--------

SAVE ME
First played live in 1979 (before its actual release)
Recorded in 1979

Brian played piano until the second chorus, from then on Fred took over and even did the solo there. The outro was played at the guitar. During Hot Space tour Brian only played piano until before the first chorus, and from then on there was no piano, but synths instead.

-------------
3.Bohardy 13 Oct 2006 23:55
I'm no expert on Queen live, and there's such a huge amount of info there to comment on, but I just have to say...glockenspiel in Don't Stop Me Now???? Please explain Seb!

Also, didn't Brian always play on My Melancholy Blues live? I may be wrong.
4.Sebastian 14 Oct 2006 05:02
On the record there's a glockenspiel doubling the piano notes twice (right before first and third choruses). It's obviously absent live.

Fred usually introduced My Melancholy Blues by "Brian's gonna take a break now", and all versions that I know of are only the three of them (including Houston, which is the one on Rare Live). But Brian does play guitar at the Beeb.
5.PD 14 Oct 2006 21:56
DontStop: I am not sure its glockenspiel. I would guess it's just bells.

Staying Power: a live record starts with Freddie speeking about the band being into black music "...or whatever they call it" and that "it does not mean we forgat how to rock n roll" or something like this. Do you know that comment? Could you give me an exact transcription of that comment?
6.Bohardy 14 Oct 2006 22:30
Interesting. I'll have to listen to DSMN again, although I'd have to agree with Denes and say I very much suspect that there's no glockenspiel there. Whatever it is though, I can't say I've noticed it before.

And bout MMB: I did say I was no expert! Although I swear I've heard Bri play on it, other than at the Beeb.

Regarding Staying Power:

Freddie: Now, most of you know that we've got a, some new sounds out in the last week, and, ah, for what it's worth, um, we're gonna do a few songs in the ah funk/black category, whatever you call it. That doesn't mean we've lost our rock 'n' roll feel, OK? I mean, it's only a bloody record, people get so excited about these things, I mean um, we just wanna try out a few sounds, this is 'Staying Power'.
7.Sebastian 15 Oct 2006 03:07
DSMN: I admit I'm not 100% sure it's a glockenspiel, but those are definitely not (tubular) bells. I remember it was more noticeable through DTS channels; compare the sound of that instrument with the one in 'Only A Northern Song' and 'No Surprises'.

MMB: Who knows, maybe during the European leg they changed the arrangement?
8.Sebastian 16 Oct 2006 16:20
FLASH
First played live in 1980 (or 1981?)
Recorded in 1980

Brian played piano and switched to guitar at the end. All lead vocals by Freddie, with Roger on harmonies during "pure in heart" bit.

--------

STAYING POWER
First played live in 1982
Recorded in 1982

Nice two-guitar lineup, with John playing some funky bits. Bass was done by synths (probably programmed?). Roger and Brian added some very nice vocal harmonies.

------

BACK CHAT
Recorded in 1982

Synths did the motif and John played bass instead of guitar. Nice extended solos by Brian, and they kept Roger doing the e-drum break. No backing vocals. Before releasing the song, they'd already play some snippets of 'Back Chat' introducing 'Keep Yourself Alive' in South America.

-------

ACTION THIS DAY
Recorded in 1982

Roger and Freddie sang it in a duet, the song was more or less the same arrangement but there was a little more guitar, and there was a complete ending, very dramatic and superb ("this wooooooooorld is using me"). Real bass instead of synths.

----------

BODY LANGUAGE
Recorded in 1982

No idea about what did John do there since the bass was played by Fred/Morgan on keyboards. Roger sang backing vocals.

----------

LAS PALABRAS DE AMOR
Recorded in 1982

Just instrumental bit by Brian before 'Love Of My Life'.

------

LIFE IS REAL
Recorded in 1981 or 1982

No piano (I think), but instead synths and acoustic guitar. No backing vocals. Fred had planned to do an a capella version, but as far as I know the idea never bore fruition.

-------

PUT OUT THE FIRE
Recorded in 1982

Shortened version done as part of a medley with 'Now I'm Here'. Fred sang along Roger's part. No solo :(

-------

CALLING ALL GIRLS
Recorded in 1982

Done as medley with 'Get Down Make Love'. Some backing vocals by Roger.

----------

UNDER PRESSURE
First plaued live in 1981
Recorded in 1981

During the South American tour sometimes Fred sang the lines "under pressure" while John did the 'Back Chat' bass-riff before 'Keep Yourself Alive'. The first two times it was done complete there were no keyboards, and Mercury sang both his and Bowie's parts with Roger adding backing vocals to support him.

Hot Space versions onwards have synths, and during Magic tour Spike sang Bowie's part (chordal backing vocals) during the second verse.

-----------

RADIO GA GA
First played live in 1984
Recorded in 1983

Complete ending as in 'Action'. Roger sang along some parts, all of them did backing vocals, and there was a nice bass-solo by Deacy. Less synth-work and loads of audience participation.

--------

TEAR IT UP
Recorded in 1983

No-synths version with Brian and Roger on backing vocals. On Magic Tour it was done as part of the medley.

--------

IT'S A HARD LIFE
Recorded in 1983

Fred sang the intro with guitar, bass and drums backing at the end of the impromptu. Then he sat on the piano and started the second intro. Spike on keys replaced the second guitar during the solo. Backing vocals by Roger and sometimes Brian.

---------

MACHINES
Recorded in 1983

Spike did some parts of it during the synth solo and somebody (probably him) did the robotic "back to humans" voices.

--------

I WANT TO BREAK FREE
Recorded in 1983

Done more similar to the single version, although instead of a synth solo, we'd got Brian playing it with the Red Special. Interesting backing vocals by Roger ("God knows", "I don't want to live alone") and Brian ("for real").

--------

HAMMER TO FALL
Recorded in 1983

Faster and in normal tuning. Spike did the rhythm guitar from the solo onwards. Simpler vocal arrangement.

----------

IS THIS THE WORLD WE CREATED
Recorded in 1984

Works tour versions were only B+F, while Magic tour ones added a synth in the background. As opposed to the studio recording (which had Brian on 12-string steel acoustic), the live version featured Brian playing a nylon-stringed solid-body classical electric, tuned half step down.

----------

ONE VISION
First played live in 1986
Recorded in 1985

Brian sang "dark rain falls" part, Roger sang most of the song with Freddie (sometimes antiphonally), intro was taped. Some very nice variations in the solos.

--------------

A KIND OF MAGIC
Recorded in 1986

Complete ending as in 'Ga Ga' and 'Action'. Tempo was slightly faster and there was more guitar than in the studio version, and an extended section with synth e-piano and superb drumming.

-------------------

FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS
Recorded in 1986

Done complete once or twice and then only two cycles. Sometimes played early in the concert and sometimes sandwiched between 'Rock You' and 'Champions'. Synth-piano instead of acoustic.

----------------------

WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER
Recorded in 1986

Introduced by the "we're not gonna split up" discourse, and featuring Brian on synth until the second chorus. Strings were done by Spike on another keyboard, and there were many differences with the studio version, notably the fact Freddie sang it all (as in the film take), there were acoustic (non-orchestral) drums and electric (not double) bass. Roger's and Brian's backing vocals were arranged slightly differently too.
9.Bohardy 17 Oct 2006 01:49
I listened to DSMN again last night. There's now way that's a glockenspiel there. It's not even tuned percussion, as far as I can hear.

I go with some kind of bell/triangle type thing.
pages 1