HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: MeterBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Daniel: Meter25 Feb 2006 02:02
What do you do to know that a song is in 4/4 or in 2/2?, i mean, they are both binary and i know that the difference is in the strong beats of the bar,  but its really mostly immposible to notice, for example,  i cant nderstand why my mellancholy blues is in 2/2 ,  it would work in 4/4, so how do you know?
1.Bohardy 27 Feb 2006 00:41
Good point, and one that I hadn't noticed.

I certainly wouldn't ever transcribe MMB as being in in 2/2 (or 2/4 as PD actually did), so I'm interested to see PD's explanation as to why he chose that time-signature.
2.PD 27 Feb 2006 14:49
First step: how to determine the quarter note?
When the song is in shuffle beat then the lenght of the triplets determines the quater beat.
Otherwise I choose a quarter that results in 1/4 and 1/8 notes dominating the lead tune.

Why 2/4?

I was under the influence of Pollack who transcribed the Beatles song "This Boy" in 2/4 (6/8).
He determined this style as "slow wall climber". For some reason I felt that MMB also falls in this category.
Another example I feel 2/4 beat is "Dream A Little Dream Of Me".
3.Daniel 27 Feb 2006 18:01
;(  ;(   i didnt understand :(
4.PD 02 Mar 2006 12:53
Shall I change it to 4/4? If you vote for it, I'll do it.
5.Bohardy 02 Mar 2006 19:45
I fully understand how you determined the quarter-note, and I fully agree with you.

I can see where some sections of the song have a slight 2/4 feel to them, but when sections such as "and meet my, melancholy blues...." and the bar after it that precedes the solo are so srongly phrased across 4 crotchets, and because 4/4 is so easy to count through the song, and because 4/4 would be the obvious choice for the meter, it just seems a bit silly to count it anything but that.

Can you provide a link to Pollack's analysis of This Boy?
6.Sebastian 03 Mar 2006 15:15
Perhaps the first half (when it's only piano and voice) can be interpreted in 2/4, but from then onwards it's clearly 4/4 to me (in some live versions Fred counted the four bars with fingerclicks before drums entered).

This Boy: www.recmusicbeatles.com
pages 1