HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Brian May's CrossreferencesBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Brian May's Crossreferences09 Nov 2005 13:20
Sort of self-explanatory :)

------

CHORD FUNCTIONS:

i (Major Key): Long Away, Polar Bear

I (Minor Key): Dream Of Thee, Flash, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, White Queen, Why Don't We Try Again

bII (minor key): Dream Of Thee, White Queen

II: '39, Back To The Light, Brighton Rock, Dear Friends, Dreamer's Ball, Driven By You, Father To Son, Gimme The Prize, Headlong, I Go Crazy, Keep Yourself Alive, Polar Bear, Procession, Save Me, Scandal, She Makes Me, Sweet Lady, The Hero

II (minor key): The Prophet's Song

bIII: Battle Theme, Father To Son, Headlong, I Can't Live With You, Machines, Step On Me

III: '39, Another World, Brighton Rock, Dreamer's Ball, Driven By You, Good Company, Headlong, I Go Crazy, Is This The World We Created, Keep Yourself Alive, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Polar Bear, She Makes Me, Sweet Lady, The Hero

bIV (minor key): Keep Yourself Alive

iv: Another World, Good Company, I Can't Live With You, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Save Me, Scandal

IV (minor key): Flash, Sail Away Sweet Sister, The Prophet's Song, White Queen, Who Wants To Live Forever

bvhalfdim: Back To The Light, Too Much Love Will Kill You

bV (minor key): Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Who Wants To Live Forever

v: Is This The World We Created, Polar Bear, Tear It Up, The Night Comes Down

V (minor keys): All Dead, Dream Of Thee, Flash, Keep Yourself Alive, Mother Love, Sail Away Sweet Sister, The Prophet's Song, White Queen, Why Don't We Try Again

bvidim: '39

bVI: Father To Son, Gimme The Prize, Good Company, Headlong, Is This The World We Created, Leaving Home Ain't Easy, Long Away, Thank God It's Christmas

vi (minor key): Mother Love

VI: Another World, Driven By You, Father To Son, Good Company, Keep Yourself Alive, Procession, The Hero

bviihalfdim (minor key): Who Wants To Live Forever

bVII: Doin' All Right, Fat Bottomed Girls, Father To Son, Gimme The Prize, Headlong, I Can't Live With You, Put Out The Fire, Save Me, Scandal, Someday One Day, Tear It Up, The Hero, The Night Comes Down

vii (minor key): The Prophet's Song, White Queen

VII: The Hero, The Night Comes Down

------

SLASH CHORDS WITH MINOR SEVENTH AS BASS:

Sail Awaw Sweet Sister (D/C)

The Show Must Go On (G/F)

The Prophet's Song (B/A)

-----

C# HALF DIMINISHED CHORD:

Back To The Light

The Show Must Go On

Too Much Love Will Kill You

Who Wants To Live Forever
1.Sebastian 09 Nov 2005 14:26
A very interesting aspect of Brian's songwriting is his change between parallel keys. Some of the latter examples can be interpreted as maintaining the major mode but with borrowed chords from the minor one:

---

Driven By You:

During the solo Brian seems to have swerved the key from F (with IV>V>I cadence) to Fm, since the chords used change to Db, Eb and Bbm

-----

Hammer To Fall:

Abrupt modulation to bIII and back

---

I Can't Live With You:

Lift goes to G/Em then the chorus is back in E.

---

I Want It All:

b>B for the bridge. The key goes back to minor via chord stream (VI>VII>i or bVI>bVII>i depends on how you read it)

--------

Keep Yourself Alive:

First part of the verse uses F and Bb while the second's got C, Db and Ab (V, VI and III for the minor key)

---

Leaving Home Ain't Easy:

I interpret the intro as being in clear Am (note the chords used: F, G, Bdim, Dm) with picardy third ending.

------

Now I'm Here:

Intro may be interpreted as being in D Mixolydian, which would cause the modulation to E to be an enharmonic equivalent to i>I (1# to 4#).

---

Scandal:

The short lived mood change can be interpreted as a modulation to Gm (III>VII>I) again resolved quickly.

---

Teo Torriate:

The well known i>I change for the chorus

---

Thank God It's Christmas:

To VI and back, the latter using C (bVI of E, IV of G) as pivot.

---

Too Much Love Will Kill You:

Before "in the end" the entrance of Cm can be interpreted both as a v function or as a modal switch to minor, since the Gm chord is expected at the end (at least by my ears) and the resolution in G Major sounds almost like a picardy third.

-------

Why Don't We Try Again:

The way I interpret it, the verse is in Dm with picardy third (check Fred's All God's People), then when the A chord is introduced the mode indeed changes to major (reinforced by 1-4-5-4 progression)

-----

Freddie used a similar trick at the end of Play The Game's chorus: Gm > Ab > Bb progression, which can be interpreted as a short lived incursion in the parallel Cm key (v > VI > VII functions) or simply as a queue of borrowed chords to be solved in the next phrase with the tonic.
2.PD 10 Nov 2005 19:50
> I interpret the intro as being in clear Am (note the chords used: F, G, Bdim, Dm)
> with picardy third ending.

For my ears the intro has no established key. Those chord chains destroy my feel of mode, only the A = 1st degree is clear.
pages 1