HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Roger Taylor's CrossreferencesBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Roger Taylor's Crossreferences09 Nov 2005 05:02
Here's to put a database of Roger's conscious or accidental crossreferences in his tracks, and/or his trademarks being more deeply analysed:

-----

CHORD FUNCTIONS:

I (minor key): Nazis 1994

bII (major key): Action This Day

bII (minor key): Nazis 1994

II: A Kind Of Magic, Action This Day, Calling All Girls, Coming Soon, Drowse, Heaven For Everyone, Machines, Modern Times Rock N' Roll, Revelation, Rock It, Sheer Heart Attack, Strange Frontier, Thank God It's Christmas

bIII: Action This Day, Machines, Sheer Heart Attack

III: Drowse, Heaven For Everyone, Sheer Heart Attack

IV (minor keys): You Had To Be There

bVI: Coming Soon, Don't Lose Your Head, Heaven For Everyone, Laugh Or Cry, Thank God It's Christmas

VI: Coming Soon, Happiness, Strange Frontier, Touch The Sky

bVII: A Kind Of Magic, Action This Day, Breakthru, Don't Lose Your Head, Drowse, Heaven For Everyone, Hijack My Heart, Laugh Or Cry, Machines. Modern Times Rock N' Roll, Radio Ga Ga, Revelation, These Are The Days Of Our Lives

vii: Drowse

VII: Drowse

---------

Roger's Songs Using The Six Diatonic:

- Days Of Our Lives
- Touch The Sky

Roger's Songs Not Beginning In The Tonic:

- A Nation Of Haircuts (IV)
- Don't Lose Your Head (iii)
- Surrender (iii)
- The Whisperers (iii)

Roger's Songs Beginning In Chromatic Chords:

- Laugh Or Cry (bVI)

----------

MODULATIONS:

Modern Times RnR: Abrupt

A Nation Of Haircuts: Step (D to E), abrupt

Pressure On: Double-Step (Fm to C), abrupt

Revelation: Neighbour (G to C) through F (bVII>IV)

Happiness: Step (Am to Bb and back), through G (VII>VI) and F (V>VI)

-----------

ODDS & SODS:

- All four chord functions of Rock It can be found in Coming Soon

- Thank God It's Christmas & Ga Ga both use five diatonics (no iii), as well as John's I Want To Break Free. A similar similitude between two composers in the same album occurred to Freddie and Brian in The Game (PTG and Save Me too have five diatonics and no iii function)

- Roger's Don't Lose Your Head and Brian's Gimme The Prize share chord stream progression (bVI > bVII > I)

- iii function's got quite a big importance in some of his tracks, appearing for several measures in the beginnings of both Don't Lose Your Head and Surrender. The Whisperers begin in that function as well and in all three cases the key is C Major
pages 1