HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Comments on the updated articlesBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Comments on the updated articles19 Jul 2005 16:45
DOTL: In general terms I preferred the way you redacted the introduction in your past version.

> Mercury was told to be a pianist having not the chops of concert pianists.

It'd be better: "Mercury's been told as not having the chops of concert pianists". "was told to be a pianist..." would mean that somebody asked Fred not to have the chops, and - I think - you don't mean that.

> on the other had he performed it also on stage.

In fact he did it sometimes faster on stage. My theory is that he couldn't quite do it before Races tour, that's why they only referred to DOTL in a part of Prophet's Song during Opera tour but didn't play the song per se.

> The chord progression is based mostly on chromatic descending note-motions.

That's something Fred would apply in his last days compositions: Slightly Mad, Bijou.

------------

White Queen:

Two interesting Harrison references: the picardy third (My Sweet Lord) and the way the motif resembles While My Guitar.
1.PD 20 Jul 2005 12:45
WQ:
The bassline (A G F E - the flamenco bassline) is different from that in WMGGW (A G F# F).
"Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin is another close case, but again the bassline is A G F# F. (chord progression wise its related to "The House Of The Rising Sun")
The WQ riff reminds me of "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" (Bonnie Tyler).
WMGGW must have been influenced by "white Room".

The Pickardy third ending can be found in many song. From the top of my head "My Sweet Lord" is not one of them. I may be wrong...
pages 1