HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: More about BeatlesBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: More about Beatles05 Sep 2004 09:38
First of all, Lennon-esque details in Life Is Real:

- G > D/F# > Em > Em/D progression in the first two phrases of the verse, as in All You Need Is Love. The one in Life Is Real is more Dsus4/F# (which can also be transcribed as G/F#). Another song with that is my favourite from ABBA: One Of Us

- AABC phrasing in the verse (AYNIL)

- The tag in the outro also reminds me of AYNIL

- Bridge chord progression similar to Cry Baby Cry (which btw was recorded using the same piano Fred used in the first two Queen albums, and Brian in Now I`m Here)

- The song modulates to iii in the first half of the bridge, then to its relative major during the second half of the bridge, to come back then to the original key. Exact same trick as in A Hard Day`s Night & I Should Have Known Better (both can be interpreted slightly differently though).

---------

Second of all, what do you guys think about the still not officially resolved songwriting discussions?

In My Life is the one they most disput. John credited it to himself (and referred to it as his first major piece of work), while Paul says he`s the one who wrote the tune in John`s Mellotron after John had written the poem. John also commented once that `If I Fell` was the precursor of `In My Life`, in both ways.

I personally find IML much more John-esque, the iv chord for example (also found in If I Fell).

Tbc...
1.Bruno 31 Mar 2005 09:56
Have you ever noticed just how much does Hey Jude have in common with Bohemian? Their most famous work. No1 for nine week. Both feature a piano as a main instrument. The singers reach the highest notes in theese songs (F4 & Bb4). The net melody of Hey Jude is an all time record for the Beatles, as is Bohemian for Queen (and then some). Both song have a dramatic change around 3 minutes. HJ goes into a singalong, while BR goes to the opera. Both songs are very long for both bands standards. And so on
2.BrianMay 01 Apr 2005 17:56
No, only someone with a very large imagination can think of that :)

Why do we have so much Beatles topics btw, isn't this queen forum?
3.PD 01 Apr 2005 20:19
>Why do we have so much Beatles topics btw, isn't this queen forum?
Because Beatles are highly respected band among the posters here let alone among Queen members.
Because there is much common between the two bands, and there is large amount of available info on Beatles songs that makes the comparison with Beatles easier than with other bands.
4.Bruno 01 Apr 2005 21:38
>No, only someone with a very large imagination can think of that :)
Ha, ha. Thank you, Mr. Ferocious, I do my best.
5.Sebastian 06 Sep 2005 14:49
What do you think about who sings in Drive My Car?

People use to say it's John doing harmony in the verses but I'm nearly sure it's George, and then John joins for "you can do something in between" and the choruses. George's Liverpool accent is the strongest of the four, and his classic pronounciation is found on "star on the SCREEN" "drive my CAR", "be a STAR" and so on.
6.PD 08 Sep 2005 12:38
the rec.music.beatles newsgroup discussed this topic several times. I recommend to look it up. Their expertise is superior to mine.
7.Bruno 21 Sep 2005 14:46
I always thought that Paul sang both voices in the verses.
8.Sebastian 21 Sep 2005 16:06
Paul's got a very strong Liverpool accent as well but it's still not as much as the one who's singing the low part. Otoh you've got a good point considering the phrasing style suits Paul more than George. But, imo, it's definitely not John.
9.Bruno 22 Sep 2005 12:21
I agree, it's definitely not John. But, did George & Paul ever sang together, without John? It was always J & P together (She Loves You) or solo (I'll Cry Instead, All My Loving) . And G sang solo while J & P did backing (I'm Happy Just To Dance With You). Or the three of them together (This Boy). G was more inclined to J in the early days so J sang on G songs (If I Needed Someone (is P singing as well? - I can't hear him)). I don't recall any song that features P & G singing without J. So, DMC is either an exception or Paul overdubbed himself as he did earlier in e.g. I've Just Seen A Face.
10.Sebastian 22 Sep 2005 13:51
The entire third verse of All My Loving is George & Paul, John just joins for the refrain. You can confirm that easily on live videos. There's one voice clearly John's in DMC but it's just during the chorus and the last line of the verses.That's where I think the three of them are singing. Especially "car", "star", "understood" are done with George's "big-toncil" pronounciation imo.
11.Bruno 22 Sep 2005 17:27
I think that Paul overdubbed himself on All My Loving. It is unison till the solo and after the solo it's a third (or whatever) higher. The verse after the solo is two Pauls. Definitely. Or else... I may as well be deaf :) As for the backing vocals... I can't tell. Of course, I'm talking about the studio version. For the live versions, of course he couldn't overdubb himself.
12.Sebastian 23 Sep 2005 04:28
A close listen to the karaoke version confirms what you've said: Paul does the thirds himself.
13.Bruno 23 Sep 2005 21:02
Did you try the same with Drive My Car?
14.Sebastian 24 Sep 2005 14:36
I don't have a kar version of that, unfortunately
15.Bruno 23 Oct 2005 20:54
What keys are Mr. Kite and Michelle in?
16.Sebastian 24 Oct 2005 13:53
Michelle is in Fm. Mr Kite is in Dm and Cm
17.Bruno 24 Oct 2005 21:48
In The Beatles Complete Scores book, Michelle has one flat and Mr. Kite has no flats or sharps.
18.Sebastian 25 Oct 2005 05:36
A different interpretation results in a different outcome. Many might consider Michelle to be in F due to the fact that verse begins in that chord and somehow the harmony is driven towards it. Otoh, imo, the pitch-set corresponds much more to Fm, as well as the use of Bbm, Eb, Db, Ab and Fm chords and the fact that C sounds more like the V of a minor key (with raised 7th degree) than the V of a major. And it does make sense in the context: V in minor keys is quite common for French and Italian music.

Mr Kite is a different matter, as several John's songs there's confusion, it seems like he was trying to make the work tad more complicated for analysts, both lyrically and musically. And he did well.
pages 1