HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: VoiceBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Daniel: Voice22 Aug 2004 19:29
Hi Everibody!

I've seen lot of articles here about the voices of Queen and things like that ,  
I'm starting to sing but i have a problem,  i can't get my head voice.  i dont know how to get it.
So, does somebody know what can i do?   or some exercices or any web page with information?

Daniel.    
1.Sebastian 24 Aug 2004 00:49
I think head voice is the most natural one, the one everybody tends to do while singing (note that it sounds smoother than your "talk" voice). Chest voice is the voice you speak with.
2.Daniel 15 Dec 2004 17:49
Yes, but the thing is that i can't get my head voice,  i always sing with my chest so i can't get very high notes,  i need to know how to access my head voice 'cause i can't get it naturaly
3.Sebastian 16 Dec 2004 05:10
I think the best way is to get somebody to help you personally, like a choir conductor or somebody, that can quickly tell you, because it`s hard to describe via online :)
4.Daniel 16 Dec 2004 19:12
:(
5.Sebastian 17 Dec 2004 05:55
Moreover, if you can send me a sample of your voice, I can help you via online, or at least try
6.Daniel 18 Dec 2004 19:04
Ok great, How can i send it  to you? and what must i say or what?.

Some details of my voice are: I think i'm a baritone,   my lowest note is a E1 , i can go without pain to a C2 with my chest wich is the point when it's supposed that i must go to my head voice but as i don't have  it, with lot of work and pain i can force to a D4 or even E4 with chest.  a can reach a B4 with falsetto.   I know i must not force my voice to get high notes but as i listen and play music like Queen, Beatles,  Derek and the Dominos,  Led Zeppelin and other similar i must learn my head voice.  
7.Sebastian 19 Dec 2004 04:07
You can send me a low note, and a high one (not falsetto). Some short part for example, a line of a song or whatever. sebastian@queenconcerts.com
8.Bruno 07 Jan 2005 23:13
I'm officially confused. My friend studies piano and sings in a male choir. He says that a typicall man can sing E1-E3 (in rock music notation) in his cheast/head voice. He showed me that by singing me a scale and he really had to shout to hit E3. But in poprock music, E3 is as normal as you would expect your singer to sing. So what's the catch? Is it in different ways of singing? Is it something else?
9.Sebastian 08 Jan 2005 02:00
E1 is often called E2 as well. I mean central C is sometimes referred as C2, sometimes as C3. Depends on the notation, I think American is something, European something else or something like that. The synth I had some years ago had the names of the notes written and it referred to central C as C3, and central A (440 Hz) as A3.

Your friend is referring to the other notation: what he calls E1 is what I meant by E2, and what he calls E3 is what here is referred as E4 (what Fred sang in Hang On In There "wait...").

The notation your friend uses makes a lot of sense considering the lowest note of a bass-singer would be referred to F0, and then you count from there. In the notation I use F0 is one octave below that, in your friend`s it wouldn`t have a name (F minus 1?), but it`s because 99.99% of blokes would never get that low. Besides pro Russian contrabass singers, I think that note is restricted to pigs or toads. Maybe a polar bear too.
10.Bruno 08 Jan 2005 11:28
Yes, but that doesn't explain the fact how a proffesional singer can sing only two octaves while Freddie could sing three of them.
11.Sebastian 08 Jan 2005 22:29
Yes but consider that Fred`s range was bigger than the "average" (as many other singers have confirmed). By other side several of those "border" notes were done in extraordinary cases. I mean I doubt Fred could sing D4 or E4 in a "regular" situation. He wouldn`t do E1 or F1 either. Still his range was in fact "too" large, but it`s not as common as you may think. Celine Dion, for instance, sings about two octaves; I doubt George & Paul would go more than that as well.
12.Bruno 08 Jan 2005 23:43
What's your range? Can you plesase mail me for example an F1 and F2 so that I could see the difference. I really can't tell can my friend go from E1 to E3 or from E2 to E4. I'll give you my mail if you'll be so kind to send me the samples. How's the Bohemian in Lennon version going?
13.Sebastian 09 Jan 2005 00:52
It depends on what kind of voice does your friend have. If he`s tenor, most likely it`s E2 to E4. My range is B0 - B3, I mean I can get slightly higher and lower than that but I omit those cases. In a song I composed I "have to" sing an E4 every time, and I can nail it but I need to warm up first (mostly for health reasons).

I don`t have samples of my voice, as far as I remember, but I can send you samples from some other (i.e. good) singers. Bo Rhap by Lennon ... frankly I had forgotten about it, I should work on it, I don`t have any way to record it anymore but at least on paper, it can be a nice experiment. Let me know your mail address to send you the voice samples
14.Bruno 09 Jan 2005 13:08
15.Sebastian 15 Jan 2005 12:39
Did you receive the samples all right?
16.LG 25 Oct 2007 22:01

I have found this: www.youtube.com

17.Sebastian 21 Jun 2008 14:18

I thought this was the best thread to comment:

Last month I compiled a list for every Queen song, mentioning each one's function in choral terms. For instance, in Sail Away Sweet Sister it's something like:

Soloists:

Brian May - Baritone

Freddie Mercury - Tenor

Choir:

Brian May - Baritone, Tenor

Roger Taylor - Sopranist

Freddie Mercury - Tenor, Alto

--------

Some general conclusions/observations:

- As expected, almost all lead vocals by Roger & Freddie are in the tenor range, Brian's are in baritone. A notable exception is Slightly Mad.

- When singing three-part, Roger and Freddie usually were tenors (Tenor 1 & 2 in choral terms), Brian was baritone; occasionally it'd be Alto - Tenor - Baritone.

- Harmonies with an actual bass-voice are very few compared to what I'd thought

- Roger's guest appearance on Fox's 'Survivol' (1975) includes an ascending series of high notes, ending up on a high E (a tritone ABOVE the 'for me' in Bo Rhap). I don't think it's even legal to sing that high!

- Brian did sing tenor sometimes, mostly on backing vocals (Son and Daughter, Doing All Right, Father to Son), and occasionally on lead too (Who Wants to Live Forever).

pages 1