HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Special chords in Queen songsBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
PD: Special chords in Queen songs21 Mar 2004 07:00
Let us write a list of songs that make use of those. For a start I thought of only four types:

Augmented chords:
In The Lap Of The Gods...revisited, Leroy Brown, Sunday Afternoon, Bicycle Race, Dreamers Ball, Bijou, No One But You...
Augmented chords in Beatles songs:
groups.google.co.hu
they seem to have applied augmented chords more frequently, especially Lennon.

Diminished chords: In Onyl 7 Days, The Show Must Go On, The Kiss, My Fairy King,
(there are much more diminished 7th chords in Queen songs...)

Diminished seventh chords:
We Are The Champions, Bohemian Rhapsody, '39, You Take My Breath Away, My Melancholy Blues, ...

Half-diminished chords: My Fairy King, In The Lap Of The Gods... revisited (Wembley), Spread Your Wings, Who Needs You, my Melancholy Blues, Princes Of The Universe, I'm Going Slightly Mad, In the Lap Of The Gods...

it's of course just incomplete initial version, additions welcomed..
1.Sebastian 08 Aug 2005 20:00
Chromatic chord functions:

MAJOR KEYS:

i: My Melancholy Blues

bII: Action This Day, Bohemian Rhapsody, Princes Of The Universe

II (V of V): '39, A Kind Of Magic, Bohemian Rhapsody, Brighton Rock, Coming Soon, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Drowse, Friends Will Be Friends, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Hammer To Fall, In Only Seven Days, Killer Queen, Modern Times Rock N' Roll, Need Your Loving Tonight, No One But You, Princes Of The Universe, Save Me, Scandal, Seaside Rendezvous, Spread Your Wings

biii: Seaside Rendezvous

bIII: Action This Day, Friends Will Be Friends, Scandal

III (V of vi): '39, Action This Day, Coming Soon, Drowse, Friends Will Be Friends, Good Company, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, Is This The World We Created, Killer Queen, My Melancholy Blues, No One But You, Princes Of The Universe, Seaside Rendezvous

iv: Bohemian Rhapsody, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, In Only Seven Days, Killer Queen, My Melancholy Blues, Play The Game, Save Me, Scandal, Spread Your Wings

v: Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, In Only Seven Days, Is This The World We Created, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Mad The Swine, My Melancholy Blues, Play The Game, Seaside Rendezvous

bVI: Bohemian Rhapsody, Coming Soon, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Drowse, Good Company, Is This The World We Created, Need Your Loving Tonight, Play The Game, Seaside Rendezvous, Staying Power

VI (V of ii): Brighton Rock, Good Company, Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, In Only Seven Days, Killer Queen, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, No One But You, Princes Of The Universe, Seaside Rendezvous

bVII (IV of IV): A Kind Of Magic, Bohemian Rhapsody, Brighton Rock, Drowse, Fat Bottomed Girls, Friends Will Be Friends, Hammer To Fall, In Only Seven Days, Killer Queen, Mad The Swine, Modern Times Rock N' Roll, Need Your Loving Tonight, No One But You, Play The Game, Save Me, Scandal, Seaside Rendezvous, Spread Your Wings, These Are The Days Of Our Lives

VII (V of iii): Bohemian Rhapsody, Drowse, My Melancholy Blues, Seaside Rendezvous

vii: Drowse

---------

MINOR KEYS:

bI: Tenement Funster

II (V-V): Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

biv: Tenement Funster

bIV: Princes Of The Universe

IV (V-VII): Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

V: Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Tenement Funster

vi: Princes Of The Universe, Tenement Funster
2.PD 17 Aug 2005 12:28
Nice list.
Warning: V is not special chord in a minor key.
pages 1