HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Made In HeavenBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Made In Heaven03 Mar 2004 16:28
I thought it'd be nice to share my last thoughts about this album, which I've been analysing this week for my site. Any contributions, corrections or opinions are welcome:

It's A Beautiful Day - Very clever track for a "throwaway". In the regular version the guys respected Freddie's original framework. In the reprise it was re-arranged. I think the harmony in the reprise version is another Freddie, probably another out-tale from 1980. Or perhaps Dave Richards changed the pitch of the normal melody and formed that interesting backing vocal. Who knows. The oboe part was John's idea, a very good one. I guess the mini-orchestral part at the end must be David's contribution. Roger played Timpani a lot in this album, including this track. I think John perhaps plays one of the rhythm guitars (the one that doubles the bass) in the reprise

Made In Heaven: It has timpani too. With exception of the fx effect in the intro, all keyboards are taken from Freddie's sessions. But not the album cut, they must have used out-takes.

Let Me Live: This is the song I know less about.

Mother Love: The (main) drum line is a synth. The only human part there is formed by cymbal rolls. The piano part during the solo sounds very Freddie-esque to me. Since he was really sick and couldn't go to the recording room (where the piano was) I think he recorded his last keyboard parts in the mixing room (like Brian did in 'One Vision'). 'Mother Love' is then the last song Freddie recorded (digital) piano on his life. The song's apparently intact from the 1991 sessions, except for the mixing of course.

My Life Has Been Saved: The piano parts resemble 'Under Pressure'. That makes me suspect Dave Richards played both. Very nice bass-lines. Compared with the Hot Space - Innuendo era, this album is very much "human bass" friendly instead of putting synth-bass or sampled-bass everywhere

I Was Born To Love You: This is so far the only song with synth-bass. It comes from Freddie's era. Guitar arpeggios appear a lot in this album too.

Heaven For Everyone: The piano that appears in the bridge also sounds very Freddie-esque to e, but I doubt he played in either the Cross version or that they revisited the song after Innuendo. I think HFE was originally written for Queen's album A Kind Of Magic so perhaps they took the piano from those sessions (in fact perhaps Freddie's voice for the Cross version was also taken from that)

Too Much Love Will Kill You: Why did Brian use a digital piano instead of a grand one is beyond me. The bass is real again

You Don't Fool Me: The intro could be worked out with some kind of harmoniser (like Brian did for 'Driven By You'). I also think John (described once by Roger as "the best rhythm guitarist") played rhythm guitar in this one.

A Winter's Tale: Nice Freddie arrangement. Note he put the typical double-bass line, just like in Was It All Worth It, Don't Try So Hard, Innuendo and The Miracle.
1.PD 05 Mar 2004 21:11
The guitar works in "I Was Born..." are worth to check. I noticed this only when I transcribed it. Note-by-note recorded (and alternately panned) solo parts, waterfall-like harmonies... Things I didn't expected to be there.
2.Sebastian 22 Apr 2004 15:32
That song is unbelievably famous in Japan. You just walk down the street and hear it in malls and other places. I`m getting a little annoyed actually :)
3.BrianMay 23 Apr 2004 11:52
"I think the harmony in the reprise version is another Freddie"

Wrong, the harmony (If you mean the 'feel good, feel right') is Roger. I played a bit with cancelling the frequencies, and I just got the harmony at some point, and I could clearly hear it's Roger (I can send you the soundfile on Mp3 if you like)
4.BrianMay 23 Apr 2004 11:54
"Or perhaps Dave Richards changed the pitch of the normal
melody and formed that interesting backing vocal"

Nah, you can't pitch up a voice a few semitones without making it sound like one of the Chipmunks
5.BrianMay 23 Apr 2004 11:57
"That song is unbelievably famous in Japan. You just walk down the street and hear it
in malls and other places. I`m getting a little annoyed actually :)"

It's a huge hit in Japan because of a TV show, it's been in the charts for a while now.
Do you live in Japan now, Sebastian?
6.Sebastian 23 Apr 2004 17:39
I don`t discuss my private life in a forum, I can tell you my personal details on messenger if you want. In the pc I have now I can`t hear anything, I don`t have either stereo or headphones
7.PD 23 Apr 2004 20:41
For a while (1-2 years) "I Was Born..." has been probably the most aired song off the "Made In Heaven" album on more stations over here. It's quite popular I guess. I used to dislike it (too much "love you"), but it grew on me. My favourite part is the pre-climax, the way it gradually lifts up, perfectly underscored by the rising tune.
8.Sebastian 25 Apr 2004 04:53
Niek I managed to get headphones, so please can you send me Roger`s voice in Beautiful Day?
pages 1