HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: article scheduleBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: article schedule30 Jun 2003 18:52
hi again

can you please tell me which are your next articles? in some cases, like Innuendo, I'm waiting to see yours before I make mine
1.PD 30 Jun 2003 20:19
The articles so far:
1 Bicycle Race
2 Keep Yourself Alive
3 March Of The Black Queen
4 Modern Times RnR
5 Spread Your Wings
6 Leaving Home Ain't Easy
7 Mustapha
8 Drowse
9 Fat Bottomed Girls
10 Killer Queen
11 White Queen
12 Tenement Funster
13 Death On Two Legs
14 You're My Best Friend
15 Scandal
16 Crazy Little Thing Called Love
17 The Prophet's Song
18 Love Of My Life
19 Procession
20 Action This Day
21 Bohemian Rhapsody
22 Need Your Loving
23 Hammer To Fall
24 Friends Will Be Friends
25 Mad The Swine
26 Brighton Rock
27 Good Old Fashoined Lover Boy
28 I'm In Love With My Car
29 Sleeping On The Sidewalk
30 Play The Game
31 Teo Torriate
32 My Fairy King
33 The Loser In The End
34 In Only Seven Days
35 Is This The World We Created
36 The Show Must Go On
37 Staying Power
38 A Kind Of Magic
39 39
40 The Kiss
41 Dreamers Ball
42 We Are The Champions
43 These Are The Days Of Our Lives
44 Tie Your Mother Down
45 Who Needs You
46 Princes Of The Universe

The next ones up to 60

47 Good Company
48 The Miracle
49 Innuendo
50 Seaside Rendezvous
51 Save Me
52 Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon
53 Under Pressure
54 Coming Soon
55 No One But You
56 My Melancholy Blues
57 Now I'm Here
58 Radio Gaga
59 The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke
60 Nevermore

The entire list includes 171 songs. It was sequenced in a credit-proportional way, and also to feature both simple and sophisticated songs. Innuendo is close but it may take 2 months to reach. Let Me Entertain You will take ca. three years to reach.
Good Company: I have written the first 1500 characters 1-2 weeks ago, since then I have not continued it, partly because Bicycle Race stole the time.
2.Sebastian 01 Jul 2003 13:06
it's so nice, the songs you're analysing next

I was waiting for more doubts to be solved before I made some articles (e.g. find out the brand of harp in 'Love Of My Life' and the double-bass of '39), but now I realise that's not a good option. I started to lose interest and last days I started my Guns website.

I decided to rule by some rules... All Red Special guitars are played by Brian unless someone proved otherwise (like Misfire), all non-RS guitars are not Brian unless we find an evidence of the opposite (like in 'Crazy Little Thing'), all synth-basses and drum-machines are by the creator of the song uto, all keyboards are by Fred unless told otherwise (like Teo Torriate, Show Must Go On, etc).

That way I think I can finish the new site in about two months and then dedicate completely to the GnR one
3.PD 01 Jul 2003 16:48
Yeah the song-list is very nice, especially if you know some details that you can hardly wait to share with others. Even the very last songs will have some nice details worth to read and analyse. I wrote the list back in march 2001. I remember how far it seemed to reach where I am now. Pollack (whose analyses massively influenced me) did his Beatles series randomly until song No29, than he changed to prgress chronologically. His shedule was equally impressive, and I know he too felt excited (even more than myself) before releasing each of his notes.

As for GnR: I dare you to give a try to do musical analysis. Songforms are easy to figure out, the measures are easy to count, the chords are (usually) easy to transcibe, the phrasing of the lead vocal is easy to outline. Afterwards the articles can be improved if you're not satisfied with them.
4.Sebastian 01 Jul 2003 18:42
short notes on your next songs:

> Good Company

I haven't analysed that one either, because in my case it's so hard to divide. Lots of guitars, but some of them can be in one take. For example the three-part harmony in the 'Lap Of The Gods' intro is something Brian could do "live"

> The Miracle

Another Freddiesque detail is the way one voice sings and the other talks the same line ("the one thing we're all waiting for is peace on earth and end to war"). He used it at the same time on How Can I Go On.

> Innuendo

I recently finished my own version of the song, without keyboards, just guitars, drums and a flute. No vocal harmonies except for the "surrender your ego" part. I thought some time ago that the song could be related with Freddie's Keep Smiling, but recently I listened to the song (apparently Colin was buried with it, but only God knows how people could get it), and nothing similar at all. Another of my theories that went down.

> Seaside Rendezvous

It's quite hard for me to tell which one is Freddie and which one Roger. Peter Hince (roadie) told me that Fred played the grand piano, not a honky tonk one. That surprised me, it still has a weird sound. Maybe it's flanged

> Save Me

Wonderful harmonies in the second verse. I only "discovered" them last week. Now it's my favourite song in the album (before it was Sail Away Sweet Sister). Anyway, Brian's a genius

> Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon

No wonder why Brian liked it, totally a lovable piece, once you get to know it.

> Under Pressure

I made the analysis of it today. Each time it sounds more Rogeresque. David's input must have been lyrical. We know John created the bass-line, now the question is for the chord progression. However I think Roger if didn't write the tune at least he arranged it, but it would be very weird to see Roger arranging a piece from the others.

> Coming Soon

An interesting detail: Brian's voice is abstent of all Roger's songs in all the recordings, unless Brian sung the chorus of 'Heaven For Everyone'. But on 'Ga Ga' I counted only two voices (Rog and Fred), and the rest of songs are Roger, or Fred, or both of them.

> No One But You

it feels Freddie-like when I play it on the piano. In everything, and Brian chose a Freddieesque key. I think now that the piano is not a piano, it's a synth doing piano.

> My Melancholy Blues

Another very lovable piece. Very easy to play, much more than I thought.

> Now I'm Here

It's a shame that they only had 16 tracks. 8 went on the backing track (piano, bass and drums), another one for organ, four for guitars, so they had only three tracks for vocals. Two of them were used for the echoes, so all the harmonies and the lead were on the same channel, hence, they were all mixed the same way. It would be much greater to hear like one voice at one side, another at the other, or all the voices doubled... stuff like that.

> Radio Gaga

Freddie's arrangement. That would suggest he played most of the keyboards too

> The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke

The harpsichord issue is something I'd like to know before I die. Some friends disagree in my electric theory. Someday I'll contact a harpsichord expert and ask him

> Nevermore

Nice piano rings. I wish there was more information about the inspiration or the story behind all the II album
5.PD 03 Jul 2003 10:37
Some short notes from me too:
Good Company: A very nice mixture of old and "new" influences. The arrangement is a stand-alone in context of rock music. The long outro is genreric in context of dixiland, which shows Brian learned the orchestration on an authentic level. A few harmonies go behind the routin work of a big-band arranger, and I consider very hard to equal. The tune is simple, but it's harmonized as the finest harmony arrangements of the swing era. Brian was a master of harmonies.

The Miracle:
Some very nice chord progression that I can hardly wait to analyse. The songform is unusual.

Innuendo:
Probably the most adventurous hit single of the nineties. The choirs arrangement is relatively simple. The Verse will be hard to analyse harmonic-wise: modal infections, shift of tonal center...

Seaside Rendezvous:
I always liked that song. The arrangement is stand-alone, the chord progression is Tin-pan Alley influented.
(C Major, F Major)

Save Me:
Interesting is the form, the rhythm, the chords (G Major, D Major)

Sunday Afternoon:
Lots of chords, dense arrangement. Love it.

Under Pressure:
Innuendo, and Bohemian Rhapsody can be considered to be the most "valuable" hit singles of their decade. This one is also close that title in terms of form.

Coming Soon:
Typical Roger: just a few chords, but 1-2 of them is non-diatonic. The solo is simple but one of my top-favourites.

No One But You: it's a fine song in 3/4. Nice laid-back arrangement. (C Major, D Major)

My Mealncholy Blues: It's like a jazz-standard, but the phrasing and the song-form is more sophisticated.
(F Major). The intro is quite original. It has a special style, that sound familiar, but I'm could not find it's stylistic roots.

Now I'm Here: An unusual form, bluesy verse, a nice chromatic riff, an other riff with pre-downbeat accents, yet an other riff with off-beat accents.
(D Major, E Major)

Radio Gaga
Double-phrases, strange chords (for Roger, he hardly used diminished chords)
(F Major)

Master Stroke:
An epic. The last one of the three Rhapsody predecessor songs (Black Queen, Fairy King and this one).

Nevermore
It's a simple song, but very nice piano ballad.
(F Major)
6.PD 03 Aug 2003 19:35
I just report, that nowadays I don't have enough time and energy to make progress with the analysis articles. I hope I'll be able to complete "Miracle" soon. I could not sit down to continue it for a month.
7.PD 22 Dec 2003 15:56
Dear forum,

In order to spare time for both my private and professional life I decided to quit the song analysis project. Don'T worry I'm all right. In matters of years I may return (30%), in matters of months surely not. I wish someone would take over the series, and this forum would survive.
8.Sebastian 22 Dec 2003 17:30
just a little question: are you completely retired or will you continue doing the tabs and visiting this forum?
9.PD 22 Dec 2003 18:38
I suppose I will do some tabs in the future: mostly DTS-inspired tabs (bass and harmonies). Writing a basstab is not very time consuming...
Posting: I'll probably check in here several times.
10.PD 08 Jan 2006 18:17
The next ones:
61 Sail Away Sweet Sister
62 Life Is Real
63 Mother Love
64 Let Me Live
65 Rock It
66 I Want To Break Free
67 Was It All Worth It
68 In The Lap Of The Gods... revisited
69 Doing All Right
70 Body Language
71 Ride The Wild Wind
72 You and I
11.Sebastian 09 Jan 2006 04:06
Dear Lord, Sail Away Sweet Sister! I'm dying to see that one!
12.zaiga 23 Jan 2006 10:36
> I made the analysis of it today. Each time it sounds more Rogeresque. David's input
> must have been lyrical. We know John created the bass-line, now the question is for
> the chord progression. However I think Roger if didn't write the tune at least he
> arranged it, but it would be very weird to see Roger arranging a piece from the
> others.

Anyone ever listened to "Feel Like", the mother song of "Under Pressure"? Does that sound Roger-esque too?
13.BrianMay 23 Jan 2006 23:59
"An interesting detail: Brian's voice is abstent of all Roger's songs in all the
recordings, unless Brian sung the chorus of 'Heaven For Everyone'. But on 'Ga Ga' I
counted only two voices (Rog and Fred), and the rest of songs are Roger, or Fred, or
both of them."

Brian is definatly in In Love With My Car!
pages 1