HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Let Me Live songwriterBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Chaka: Let Me Live songwriter25 Jun 2003 03:57
I came across a book today, "Inspirations: Original Lyrics and the Stories Behind the Greatest Songs Ever Written," which contained both Let Me Live and These Are The Days of Our Lives. This book credited the lyrics of both of these songs to Roger Taylor and contained pictures of his original handwritten lyric sheets. While it had been generally accepted that Roger had written Days of our lives I had not yet heard that he was the author of Let Me Live.
1.BrianMay 25 Jun 2003 09:10
You're right that Roger wrote it.

There are many recordings of this song
One recorded in 1976 for the A Day At The Races
One recorded in 1983 with Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart (Just for fun, never meant to be put on an album)
One recorded from 1990-1995 for the Made in Heaven album
2.Chaka 25 Jun 2003 09:59
thanks for verifying this...I'd known about the three different recordings actually but the author of the song remained in doubt until now.
3.Chaka 25 Jun 2003 16:57
Well according to this book Roger himself supplied them with his handwritten lyric sheet and identified himself as the "main lyricist" of the song, as for the music perhaps Freddie arranged it for piano during the mid-80's sessions
4.Chaka 25 Jun 2003 17:38
Well the book stated the information came from Roger himself, it was not speculation from the author.
5.BrianMay 26 Jun 2003 11:17
I think a handwritten lyric sheet is enough evidence.

The Rod Stewart version doesn't have piano.
6.PD 26 Jun 2003 17:12
I admit I was surprised hearing this song is Roger's, but - why not? The handwritten lyrics and Roger's comment - I expect - is an evidence for the lyrics coming from him. The music: it does not changes key, it's slightly closer to Roger than to Freddie. Special chords are bVI and we have a bVI > bVII > I cadence in the Bridge which seems to be more Freddie-esque (Crazy Little Thing, Play The Game) than Roger-esque (anyone with an example?), but it's not an ultimate evidence.
7.Sebastian 26 Jun 2003 21:15
again, it's highly possible that David misremembered (it wouldn't be the only song with that problem), so, if the manuscript is in fact written by Roger then we have a really nice surprise from him

a recent doubt I have is Friends Will Be Friends.

The chords per se are more John when I play them without the bass progression. But with it they sound Freddie. Some chords (C/D) are more Freddie too. Another Mercuryesque detail is the chord change from the chord in natural form to the 7th ("easy now"- Am, Am7).

While I have examples of both of them changing from major to minor: Play The Game (all you have to do-->F Fm), Spread Your Wings (over and over again--> G Gm), I only find one example of Freddie changing from natural to 7 (it's a free world --> C C7), but still I haven't seen all the songs, then it can be also a John thing
8.Bohardy 09 Jul 2003 17:11
Interesting...

Can anyone give more evidence as to the idea that Let Me Live was started in 1976? Any sources?

And off the top of my head, Fred changes from F to F7 in Don't Stop Me Now. I'm sure there are many more examples of this.
9.Sebastian 10 Jul 2003 14:10
I just asked Brian about it, hope he answers...

another big doubt is Hang On In There. According to Dave Richards, it's by Fred. But Brian said he had played the keyboard. Now, I'm sure he didn't mean the piano, because it's a real grand piano and Brian said the only time he played that after Hot Space was in 'Forever'. Then a possibility was that Brian wrote the intro and played keyboards on it.

The intro is one of the finest ever. Although Freddie used to have great intros, I can't picture him writing this one. Another possibility, now that I think of it, is that Brian wrote the music and Fred the lyrics. And David only thought about the lyrics when he answered who the songwriter was.
pages 1