HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: New WaveBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
PD: New Wave05 Jun 2003 19:34
Roger mentioned in one of his interviews he was influenced by the New Wave genre,or something like that. I admit I know hardly anything about New Wave. Is there a New Wave expert in the house? I'm curious how much Roger's songs (including his solo works) were New Wave influenced and what are the trademarks of this music genre.
1.Sebastian 05 Jun 2003 22:04
After Punk died, there were two immediate followers on the late 70s: post-punk, a little more progressive, and complex (e.g. New Order and Depeche Mode), and new wave, totally basic, and electronic.

Duran Duran is a major example of that, as well as Eurythmic. Trademarks of new-wave are basically:

- Drums: Mostly machines instead of real instruments, and they use to change very little throghout the song. Except for 'clap along' parts which are very common on those types of songs (I don't remember many names, only I can think about 'Radio Ga Ga').

- Bass: Again, it's mostly a synth (and mostly a Roland Jupiter 8) and is looped. Examples: We Got The Beat by the Go Go's, YMCA by Village People, Love Is A Stranger by Eurythmics, Man On Fire by Roger M. Taylor).

- Synthesisers: As the late 70s and early 80s synths were always very ... not-quiet, they never worked as back-up instrument (as on for example 'Bijou' or 'Mr Roboto'), so they should be one the main instrument. We find a lot of soloing coming from them, even Eddie Van Halen fall for that, in Jump (on which he uses the same keyboard Fred would play on 'Action').

The heavy use of technology was another innovation from this genre. A classic example of that is Duran Duran's song 'Rio', on which they use the Roland's arpeggiator in a similar way Queen used on 'Action This Day'

Probably the perfect new wave song is 'Euopa And The Pirate Twins' by Thomas Dolby. Check out that one.

Some real instruments were used, but always e-pianos took over the acoustic grands (like on 'Ga Ga') and synth guitars took over the real ones (something Queen never let happen). There is hardly an acoustic guitar on those kinds of songs

One of the major differences between disco music and new wave (which later led into techno and other kinds of electronic music that influenced a lot of Roger's songs too), is the use of robotic voices.

actually that genre did not revolutioned anything musical, in terms of scales or modes or styles of playing or singing, the whole thing was about the use of loops and arpeggiators and synth-bass and things like that

Disco music was still more "human" as it uses to have brass orchestras all over the place, while new wave prefers the synths.
pages 1