HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: other band's songwritersBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: other band's songwriters15 May 2003 21:29
hi, this is to make a parallell between queen and other bands in terms of how much did each member contribute to the sets.

On Queen we find they all four wrote songs on all albums except three of them on which John didn't write anything. I don't measure their writing qualities by their success, but I do think they all wrote wonderful pieces. Fred's peak is Bo Rhap without any doubt, before that he was researching on trying to do something like that, and after '75 he changed the mood of his songs, it tends to happen, Gabriel Garcia Marquez never spent ages trying to write something like 'One Hundred Years of Solitude', and once he did he just changed radically his style, other writers do the same.

On Brian, Roger and John I don't find any song that particularly made them change, I rather find them doing evolutions of their songs, for example Roger evolved from Fun It to Coming Soon, then Action, Radio, Magic, Invisible, Ride The Wild Wind and others like No More Fun. John's ballads are each time better, till we find One Year of Love and My Life Has Been Saved, Brian's as well, from the slightly weird 'Doin' All Right' to the wonderful 'No One But You'.

On Beatles we find Paul and John each time had their styles further apart, they were numerically the major songwriters. I personally prefer John and think he had a little more importance than Paul. My favourite songs are George's actually. Ringo just wrote two and co-wrote the middle part of another one.
1.PD 15 May 2003 21:52
We all know the songwriting details of Queen: who wrote what - with some exceptions of course.
We two surely know the Beatles details as well. But in fact many many bands have more than one songwriters, and somewhat less bands more than one lead singer.

An interesting band is Metallica: the drummer (Urlich) and the rhythm guitarist (Hetfield) dominate the songwriting credites, most of the time shared. I don't know much about how they work together, but I guess Urlich had ideas about song structure and sequencing riffs.

U2: I know absolutely nothing about their songwriting credits, but must be interesting. Edge's debut as lead singer in "Numb" was not particularly breathtaking IMO. An analysis of the stylistic/songwriting trademaks of the individual members would surely be an interesting topic, even though I couldn't write too much about it.

Pink Floyd: the "Dark Side" album shows balanced songwriting within the band.

Boygroups, girlgroups: the vaste majority of them had absolutely no controll over the songwriting process and arrangement. While they are often five of them, they make harmonies over three part less frequently than Queen did.

The list is long...

Could you tell me one-songwriter bands?
Nirvana was close to be one. Megadeth are/were only dominated by one writer (Mustaine)...
2.Sebastian 16 May 2003 14:07
shit, I had written a whole list including about 15 bands, and it failed to be sent

here it goes, again, what I remember of it:

- Led Zeppelin: Mostly we find Jimmy and Robert, although Jonesy wrote two of the great masterpieces (Black Dog and All My Love). Bonzo had no idea about other instruments than drums

- The Who: Most masterpieces are Pete's (eg Magic Bus, 21/24 of Tommy, the entire Quadrophenia album, and my favourite of all: Behind Blue Eyes). Albums have an average of 1 song by John each, my favourite is perhaps Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, also I like Whiskey Man. Keith wrote a little number called Tommy's Holiday Camp, which I just love. Roger's contributions on the top of my head are a very small simple piece on the second album, See My Way, and about 15% of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere.

- Air Supply mostly uses songs written by professional lyricists. Making Love is by Jim Steinman, Every Woman in the World is by Frank Musker. The few songs of their own are by Graham Russell, lead guitarist and singer (that's band of two lead singers, they share 80% of songs, one verse by one, the chorus another one, etc). Their first hit, Lost In Love, is written by him.

- Bee Gees: Maurice didn't participate so much on the songwriting itself, although he made almost all the arrangements. Mostly it's Barry on chords and Robin on lyrics. 'How Deep Is Your Love' is by Barry and session pianist Blue Weaver. They also have the Beatles rule: who wrote the song sings.

- Kiss: Again the writer of the song sings it. For an obvious reason called 'Beth', my favourite songwriter is Peter. Gene is the main writer of 'Rock N Roll All Night' and 'Deuce', Ace co-wrote some pieces like 'Rock Bottom', which I just love. Paul is the main writer of such wonderful songs like 'Psycho Circus', 'Detroit Rock City', 'Forever' and 'I Was Made For Loving You'.

- Black Sabbath had credits shared, and I don't know them very well to tell who was the brain of the band. I guess each one arranged his own part though

- Guns N' Roses: Besides Dizzy and the drummers, we find them all quite great. Izzy is my favourite, you know, but they all had masterpieces: Axl with November and Estranged, Duff with So Fine and Civil War, Slash with Jungle and a lot of riffs. We find Slash very influenced by Brian in the matter of doing guitar layers. Again, each one arranged his own part.

- Eagles again has the main writer as singer. They put on the credits everyone that had contributed to the song, though, even if it was minimal. 'Hotel California' riff is by Don Felder, lyrics by the drummer, Don Henley. 'Desperado' is mainly Glenn Frey, pianist and rhythm-guitarist. They all had quite good tracks.

- Kansas: Main songwriter is Kerry Livgren, guitarist and pianist. Dust In The Wind, People on The South Wind and Play The Game Tonight (with great backing vocals from our Roger) are written by him. Their first keyboardist/vocalist, Steve Walsh, wrote some quite good no-hits. John Elefante, who replaced him, wrote a nice song called Face It. I think that's it

as for one-songwriter bands, I don't know if you count Simon & Garfunkel as band, but if so, Paul wrote all their songs, although they made some covers and had some external helpings.
pages 1