HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Freddie or Roger?Bookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
Sebastian: Freddie or Roger?08 May 2003 22:00
now the question is, who could get higher?

I thought their peak was the Bb4, but Roger seems to be able of hitting higher notes, as it's harder to go up with a closed vowel ('for me'), if he was in an open vowel ('rock in rio night') he could have gone higher

Fred hit the Bb4 on rock in rio blues, but on '85 his registre was shorter, I think on 70's he could get higher

now, on the early days we see they could both go high, but Roger just sounded better, which doesn't mean he went higher. They both lost a lot of their high register, but on the later days we see Freddie predominating on the top harmonies, mainly because he sounded better then.
1.PD 09 May 2003 10:32
Roger had a different voice from Freddie's in terms of falsetto. The transition between Rogers falsetto and normal voice was smooth, while in Freddie's case you could always hear the difference well. As for the ranges: I guess their range went beyond what we can find on records.
2.Sebastian 09 May 2003 13:46
by the way, do you hear an overhigh C (C5) on 'Seaside Rendezvous'? I don't, at all, and it's the new Queen "discovery"
3.Bruno 25 Jan 2004 21:31
In the Bo Rap documentary on gvh 1, Brian says that he and Freddie could sing quite low, while Roger makes the top notes count. Btw, when you speak of Bb 4 and C 5, what's the average vocal range of a male singer? And, just to compare, how high could the Beatles go?
4.PD 26 Jan 2004 07:40
5.Sebastian 26 Jan 2004 13:51
Average rangers of male voices are (putting C3 as middle C, A3 as 440 Hz):

Countertenor: G2 - F#4
Lyrical Tenor: C2 - C4
Dramatic Tenor: C2 - Bb3
Lyrical Baritone: A1 - G3
Dramatic Baritone: A1 - G3
F Baritone: F#1 - E3
Basso Cantante: F1 - F3
Basso Profundo: C#1 - D3
Contrabass: Bb0 - G2

Of course most singers don't have the range exactly as mentioned in that list, but to clasify we have to consider their middle range (cutting out the highest and lowest notes) and obviously we don't count gottal fry ("pig" sounds) or falsetto.

For example: Brian sang an F1 once and D4, without falsetto. Those are extraordinary notes. Note that usually his highest notes were around A3 (in B3 he already went out of tune, on stage I mean). Bb3 can be considered then. C2 is a good low point for his usual range, everything below it is a special case. So he would be a dramatic tenor.

Roger could sing E4 without falsetto in the 70s, but note he could go very low too. Cutting the 3 or 4 notes at each end would result in an aproximate range of C2 - C4. That would correspond to lyrical tenor, although note that around G3 he changed from chest voice to head voice.

Fred's F1s in the 70s should be considered extraordinary notes, but not in the 80s where he had a much lower voice. But his largest range was in the 70s, then he started to lose it (although his voice itself became better). I don't know how to clasify him, he's too low for a tenor but too high for a baritone.

Highest notes I've heard in Beatles are falsetto E4s (Paul in 'Oh Darling' and some others)
6.Bruno 26 Jan 2004 22:30
Thanks guys, that really clarifys some things. One more question. Could it be possible that Paul sang F4 on Hey Jude (Better - Better - ... - Better - AAH) ?
7.Sebastian 27 Jan 2004 12:22
yes it's true, a falsetto F4, I had forgotten about that
8.Bruno 27 Jan 2004 21:03
Please, tell me the difference between cheast voice, head voice, falsetto, passagio. With examples, please, thanks
9.Sebastian 28 Jan 2004 13:05
Chest voice is the voice you talk with - comes from the chest. Lyrical tenors even sing with that voice. It's more powerful than head voice but obviously is more tricky to do the high notes. Note Ringo at the end of 'With A Little Help From My Friends', Paul in 'Besame Mucho', Freddie in the Magic Tour or 'Ensueno'. Fred with chest voice didn't sing above G3, while lyrical tenors (Placido Domingo and some others) are able to sing C4 or "chest C"

Head voice is the delicate and light voice everybody can do when is singing, which is less powerful but more clear. For example Brian in 'Flash' or Paul in most of his songs (e.g. 'I Saw Her Standing There'. That voice range is good for multi-tracking. Fred recorded that way the intro of Bo Rhap (although one of the parts is falsetto)

Falsetto is when you fake a note, you imitate a woman with your voice. Note Freddie in 'Exercises In Free Love', Roger in 'Lap Of The Gods' or Brian in 'Why Don't We Try Again'
10.Sebastian 31 Jul 2004 15:26
A friend of mine had noticed an F5 in `Get Down Make Love` made by Fred (on stage during the interlude). Unfortunately, as Peter Hince (Fred`s roadie) confirmed, it was made through pitch shift device (an harmonizer, to be more exact).

The highest note - so far - found in the entire band`s concertography is Freddie`s: Db5. Roger`s highest is an A4. On stage
11.Agogobell 12 Jul 2012 03:05
Uhhh, remember the Impromptu at one of their 80's concerts? Fred got up to a D5.
pages 1