HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: ANALYSIS of Bring Back That Leroy BrownBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
marnepage: ANALYSIS of Bring Back That Leroy Brown17 Apr 2003 12:42

I'd like to find out about the influences/ factors that played a part in "Bring Back That Leroy Brown". Any help/ info would be greatly appreciated.

1.PD 17 Apr 2003 17:15
"The camper aspects of Queen are displayed in "Leroy Brown", a gay, dixie-land tune that Freddie insists is inspired by the Pointers Sisters."
source:
www.queen-interviews.com

Note, the Poiter Sisters' early albums were quite different from their later material that is more known. Reportedly these early PS albums were very diverse. Another influnce must have been the Beatles, more closely McCartney, who also composed "musichall" influenced songs (Martha My Dear, When I'm 64, Honeypie). In the middle of the sixties some other bands too were writing songs in similar style, the Kinks for example.

Between 1974 and 1976 Freddie wrote some campy, or musichall influenced songs.
The first time this influence appears - for just a few measures - is the starting piano figure (with 3+3+3+3+4 rhythm) of the intro of Funny How Love Is which can be found at the end of "...Black Queen". Later songs are: Killer Queen (partly), Leroy Brown, Lazing Afternoon, Seaside Rendezvous, and Lover Boy. We can mention Brian's "Good Company as well. If you look at these, these are not strictly in the same stylistic pigeon-hole. Leroy Brown is maybe the most dixiland influenced. Others say it's foxtrott-esque, but I don't know exactly the characteristics of foxtrott. "Typical" musical elements and touches in Leroy Brown:
slow down in the middle, the chormatic cliche at "we want Leroy for president", the chromatic descending chord progression toward the end of the Verse, a break (?), ukelele banjo, the "jazzy" drums.
In spite of all used stylistic trademarks I belive that non of these Queen songs could have been written (even in different arrangement) in the heydays of such songs (thirties and fourties) due some "modern" influences.

Associated styles: foxtrott, charleston, (brittish) musichall, vaudeville, Tin Pan Alley, dixiland. I admit I'm a bit confused about these. They often refer to Noel Coward when they talk about these songs. I admit I know hardly anything about Coward, his musical importance and most memorable songs. If anybody does, please reply.

Back to Leroy Brown: there was a US No1 song in 1973 called "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" (Jim Croce). The two "Leroy Brown" aren't very close stylistically.

Another influnce must be "Cabaret" with Liza Minelli. Reportedly this film (and its music) was one of Fred's favourites.
2.marnepage 28 Apr 2003 18:57
Thanks !
Now if only I could find out what the words mean...
pages 1