HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Guide tracksBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
PD: Guide tracks15 Mar 2003 20:44
I admit I don't know how and when exactly Queen used guide tracks. The Rhapsody-rockumentary talks about a piano guide track and a lead vocal guide track...
1.BrianMay 15 Mar 2003 20:49
It's not that hard. A guide track would be recorded, for instance piano, vocals. And would later be removed or muted after the recording of the song was finished.
2.Sebastian 15 Mar 2003 23:33
It depends, on Queen it hardly happened. Normally, for a lot of songs, like Tenement Funster, piano, bass and drums were recorded with a guide vocal. Then only the vocal was removed, and replaced by several other takes, but, according to some engineer of the time, the basic track of piano, bass and drums was laid down live.
3.Sebastian 16 Mar 2003 16:29
it comes different on different eras as well, for example on Hot Space sessions, the usual guide track was a programmed looped synth bass, a Linn drum machine and the creator of the song played an instrument and sang a guide vocal. Body Language was made that way, also Action.
4.PD 16 Mar 2003 19:11
Back to Bohrap and the documentary: Brian first talks about the guide vocals:
"In the very beginning (?) you can just hear Freddie singing the guide vocal just keeping everybody in time. Becasue it's ****** . Normally he would ******."
Could someone please transcribe the missing parts (***) for me?
Is the guide vocal you can hardly hear during the first measures of the intro captured by the piano mikes?

Second time Brian talks about the guide piano again during the intro:
"And of course he's singing to his guide piano to his guide piano, but the guide piano is taken out in the end, becasue all you want is the backup ***.

So what were the steps of the recording of that intro/verse? Which tracks exactly were guided by the two guide tracks?
5.BrianMay 16 Mar 2003 21:38
"In the very beginning (?) you can just hear Freddie singing the guide vocal just
keeping everybody in time. Becasue it's ****** . Normally he would ******."
Could someone please transcribe the missing parts (***) for me?

In the very beginning you can just hear Freddie singing the guide vocal just keeping everybody in time. Because it's leaked on to the piano mics. Normally he would've had a talk back mike.

Or something like that.
He means that Freddie's voice was recorded through the mics for the piano. But normally he would have had a microphone near his mouth to record his singing
6.Sebastian 17 Mar 2003 13:03
yes, he must have had a mic near his mouth, because the mics of the piano were placed at the end of the strings, and that was 9 ft 2 in far away from Freddie, it's so hard to catch sounds on that distance
7.Sebastian 17 Mar 2003 13:04
> "And of course he's singing to his guide piano to his guide piano, but the guide
piano is taken out in the end, becasue all you want is the backup ***.

What he means is that Freddie sang "is this the real life" until "no escape from reality" to a guide piano he had made, you can hear it on the piano/bass/drums track. then that part was edited out but the rest of the piano track stayed
8.Sebastian 02 Aug 2004 20:13
Roy did mention there was a mic for Fred`s voice during the backing track... I wish someday they could agree about one thing :) More contradictions: Sarm Studios used just for mixing (instead of vocal and guitar overdubs), opera section taking 3 weeks (instead of 1, most likely an exaggeration).
pages 1