HOME FORUM

Login

Register
Search
List of users

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS FORUM IS TAKEN FROM PREVIOUS VERSION OF QUEEN SONGS SITE.
Path: Queen Songs - Forum - Song Analysis: Who played what on Queen songsBookmark and Share

Forum

--- Only registered users can post a message ---pages 1
PD: Who played what on Queen songs04 Dec 2002 16:01

(Was: Teo Torriate)
The discussion so far:

Sebastian 15:26 12/04/02
Wow, "who played what on Queen records", that's my expertise on that band, along with
"who wrote what", although I do know something about music theory...

Well, about Modern Times, I don't think it's Brian, because on that album all the members would
like to be included on all the songs, because it's their first. I have many doubts about
Freddie singing backing vocals on that, and the piano is very frenetic, very Freddie. I did
think of Brian for instance, but Fred is the official pianist of the band, he played on all his
songs, all Roger's, all John's and several of Brian (people think Brian plays on most of his
own songs, but he does on few of them actually). I think there are two piano tracks on Doin'
All Right, on enters a bit later than the other. That could have been just using delay, but if
Brian is credited and there is no piano on Night Comes Down or Son And Daughter, then the only
thing I guess is that the piano "echo" is not an echo but it was actually made.

The band was very concerned about crediting "who played what" on the first five
albums, although they didn't include all the stuff (eg there's organ on Loser In The End and no
credits about that), but most of that. If Brian had played the grand piano on 'Teo' the credits
could have say "Pianos: Brian", or mention the three pianos, but they didn't, they
just mentioned "Harmonium Piano & Plastic Piano: Brian", so that means that
everything else is played as notified on general credits, where it says "Freddie:
Piano" and "Brian: Guitars". That means Freddie made that.

Btw, talking about credits, the A Night At The Opera credits mention Brian on guitars and Roger
on percussion but not on vocals, except for I'm In Love With My Car, '39, Good Company and
Bohemian Rhapsody. That would mean (if we take that literally) that all the backing vocals on
Death On Two Legs, Sweet Lady, Prophet's Song and You're My Best Friend were done by Freddie,
which is an obvious mistake because there are the others on them. That would also mean that all
the vocals on '39 were by Freddie & Brian, or just Brian, when I think there's an obvious
Roger on top screaming, he does it live and sounds the same.

See you later, I have a tennis game.

PD 11:07 12/04/02
I have vague doubts (30%) about Freddie playing grand piano on this song. My only weak reason is
that the song was Brian's "baby" and if he played two keyboard instruments why would not he did
the piano track?

Talking about band credits:
one of my recent guesses is Brian May playing piano on Modern Times RnR. Reasons:
- he is also credited on the album for piano.
- Freddie's piano songs must be accompanied by himself
- Brian said once Freddie was playing on Doing All Right (he may rerer this on live versions?)
- Modern Times RnR remains

The topic of "who played what on Queen records" deserves an own thread on this board. I wish
interviewers would have asked Queen members more about these details.

Sebastian 21:04 12/03/02
The credits of A Day At The Races mention that Brian played Plastic Piano and Harmonium on Teo
Torriate, but that means that the Grand Piano was by Freddie, although Brian does it live,
probably because they wouldn't fix an upright piano or an harmonium for just that song and the
guitar parts weren't present on the first part.

Post was edited on 05 Apr 2007 17:30
1.PD 04 Dec 2002 17:01
About Doing All Right.
I don't think there is additional piano played on that. IMO it's a simple delay. Philipp's studio details article says so too. Philipp's article also suggests Brian played the piano. This is what I was thinking too until I have read this:
*www.guitarworld.com

Considering this, I still think Brian must be on piano in MTRnR. That piano line is frenetic, but it's also very simple, Brian could have done it too if he wanted to.

Regarding '39:
The lead-screamin the intro and the bridge is Roger without doubt, that's right. I guess that the backing vocals are all Brian's, but I'm not sure (I should check it). The other Brian songs that I'm certain to have backing vocals sung exclusively by Brian May are Good Company, Leaving Home. There must be more.

Regarding organ in Loser In The End: isn't it Liar with uncredited organ (?) in it?

2.Sebastian 04 Dec 2002 18:59
Liar too has an uncredited organ. About Modern Times, yes Brian could do it, as he played piano on Smile (Step On Me), but it's hard to believe that Brian played piano on a song from other and not on the song of himself. If he played piano it must have been on his own song. Now, there are two things I can think about to let Brian being on Doin' All Right:

1. The normal track was done (with Freddie on the piano) similar to the live versions. Then Brian had to stay a lot of time in the studio putting his acoustic and additional electric guitars. On all of that time he could add the fast piano that we can find on the heavy part (which doubles the bass and guitar parts), because I don't think that Freddie, John and Roger were in the studio all that time. I couldn't picture Brian playing fast piano lines until I listened to China Belle, and it's the same thing: "very easy stuff to play", like he said.

2. Brian recorded another piano doing the same thing as Fred's and found it nice if they started at different times. I know it would be much easier to put delay, and it would sound the same, but workaholic Brian could also do the other thing.

It could be also the combination of the two of them. This can also be a big use of imagination but as Brian himself said, "you never know where things come from", and if you think of them, they both have sense.

About '39 I think there are Freddie and Roger there (well, I also think John, but everybody attacks me when I say that, so let's stay clear of that right now).

Someday One Day, I think it's all Brian, except on that part where there is like an angelical chorus, I can't picture Brian doing such amazing voices, but can be. She Makes Me is also Brian 100%, also Hitman (except for the lead vocal, of course).

All Dead has Fred on backing vocals, and piano, right? the same argument you said on Spread Your Wings is avaliable here.

There are loads of things to talk about... btw, can you tell me who do you think does the backing vocal of Sleeping On The Sidewalk? since it's one take, it must be either John or Roger, it's so raspy to be Roger but so good to be John.
3.PD 05 Dec 2002 19:25
Regarding Doing All Right: yes it's possible Brian was playing the pianos during the rocking part, even though I guess Freddie did all the paino track(s).

> I couldn't picture Brian playing fast piano lines until I listened  to China Belle
In the video of Las Palabras De Amore you can actually see Brian playing speddy handcross arpeggios. I guess he plays the two track synth arpeggios in Action This Day too (before the solo). The piano line in Doing All Right is IMO not very fast even for a rooky pianist.

Regarding "The Night Comes Down": where exactly can you organ on this song? I can't find it and Philipp doesn't mention it either.

> About '39 I think there are Freddie and Roger there
Could you give me the "coordinates" (phrase + position (top/.../bottom in the harmonies) of the voice do you expect to be sung by Freddie?

> I also think John, but everybody attacks me when I say that
Let's put it this way: they express their counteropinions, and IMO they have good reasons for doing so. This is something you may admit too.

> All Dead has Fred on backing vocals, and piano, right?
Years ago I thoght it is Brian on the piano, but he is not credited for it. So it must be Freddie indeed. I don't know whether Brian composed it originally on guitar or piano. As for the backing vocals: I listen too this before replying.

> can you tell me who do you think does the backing vocal of Sleeping On The Sidewalk?
I think that the "only one take" remark is about the basic tracks. I think the vocal harmonies are overdubbed, and it's all Brian. Not sure though. I should listen to it more closely...
4.Sebastian 06 Dec 2002 12:44
Well, there's something you don't know. The synthesiser the band used for the Hot Space and The Works period was the Roland Jupiter 8, which brought a new option: The Arpeggiator, which is what you hear in both Las Palabras and Action. By other side, if Brian could do fast arpeggios, it's obvious that Freddie could do them better, so it's him on Action This Day.
5.PD 06 Dec 2002 13:09
> The synthesiser the band used for the Hot Space and The Works period
> was the Roland Jupiter 8, which brought a new option: The Arpeggiator,
That was new for me indeed. In spite of the video I too have doubts Brian was able to do those arpeggios "live".
BTW how does an arpeggitor work: do you have to hit a chord and an up/down button?

As for Action This Day: it's still an open question for me. It's also possible to be an arpeggiator.

6.Sebastian 06 Dec 2002 15:39
The Roland Jupiter 8 was a greta synth indeed. It had great bass-sounds, while the Oberheim OBX and OBXa used on The Game and Flash didn't. That's why most of the HS bass stuff is on keyboards, which led John to do a lot of guitar work ... but that's another thing.

It's a shame it didn't have MIDI interface. The arpeggiator is something you just have to program, it's four octave range, and you can programme it up/down, down/up, up/up, down/down or random. The string sounds of this keyboard are good, but the best is the bass, I think the band probably use it for some things until 'Magic'. Duran Duran also used the Jupiter 8 and its arpeggiator a lot.

For The Works they acquired a Fairlight CMIIx synth, which we can see on the 'Magic Years'video plugged to a computer. It was programmable and used a lot for bass and drums programming (it was the one used for 'Machines'). On 'Radio Ga Ga' it could have been on the Roland or also the Fairlight. The synth solo of 'Break Free' is with the Jupiter 8.

Talking about keyboards, Roger didn't use them too much, he was not so good at them, I don't know why. Brian did play some of the prominent keyboard synthesiser parts, but Freddie did most of them, including at Brian's songs. I'm almost sure the solo on 'Action' is by him. If you look, the only synth-bass previous to 1982 in Queen is 'Football Fight', which is in fact a weird sound, not the one we can listen to in 'Body Language', for instance
7.Sebastian 08 Dec 2002 16:38
Sorry for being late in the rest of the answers.

On '39 the part I think of Freddie is befofe the 2nd Verse, Roger starts his screams alone, then is joined by a mukti-tracked harmony, I think the entire harmony there is by Freddie.

For 'All Dead' I think Brian composed it on piano, that's not the type of song he would write on guitar, because it's not a typical Brian if we speak of musical form, is it?. I think Freddie might have helped him on the arrangements of the intro, or probably that part was made by him.

I didn't say 'Night Comes Down' had organ, I said Liar, Loser In The End and Now I'm Here.

About John's voice, I actually listen it in some songs, but I have no proofs, whenever I can find one I'll talk about it, for now the people of "John can't sing" are winning.

By the way, can you tell me what the hell is IMO? I find that in a whole lot of places, and don't have any idea of what it means.

You know, I made some investigations, and the Emulator II, the synth the band used on the time of 'A Kind Of Magic', could make great piano sounds, so they could have used it on 'Scandal'. Still I do think that for guitar and piano parts they always used the real things.

By the way, on 'Innuendo' there's an organ, and the keyboard Freddie used on that song, the 'Korg M1' doesn't have that exact organ sound. So there are two options:

1. It was the MIDI sound, but I don't know if in 1990 the Notator Software had such great organ sounds in their MIDI channels.

2. It was a real organ, with pedals and stuff.

The Oberheim OBX-a the band used for Flash and the songs Under Pressure and Cool Cat made a great sound of a Hammond, so they could have used it for both songs instead of real pipe organs, but on the 'Miracle' and 'Innuendo' era they didn't use it anymore. Probably 'Breakthrou' is a proper organ as well.

By the way, Freddie had a Kurzeil K-250 and used it for the string parts of the album 'Mr. Bad Guy', probably he used it on 'The Works' too, if you hear synth-stringhs on any song there they must be on the Kurzeil, since the Roland didn't have great strings.

The Roland did have three great things, the bass, which I think was still used for 'Pain Is So Close To Pleasure' and 'Don't Lose Your Head'; the unison mode, where you split 16 sounds between the number of notes you played (if you played 4 notes, there was 4 different sounds on each one) so the sound was very fat, like on 'I Want To Break Free', and the arpeggiator, which was also used on 'Keep Passing The Open Windows' (check out the sound and it's the same of 'Las Palabras') and 'One Vision'.

For last, on 'Las Palabras' there's a funny thing, on the first verse, the pad Brian was playing sounds a little after it was supposed to be. He couldn't play it properly yet. Freddie did, on 'Life Is Real' the sound is well syncronised.

For 'The Works' they still used the same Roland, but they had gained a lot of experience, with Roger's and Freddie's solo projects. As for 'Radio Ga Ga', the Roland couldn't do great keyboard sounds, so for the E-Piano they might have used a real electric piano. My guess is the Yamaha CP80 Grand, because Fred said he liked Yamaha pianos and this one is electric, grand and huge and sounds amazing. For the harpsichord lines, they could have done on a true electric harpsichord.

I've said so much, haven't I? for last, I was wrong about what I told of the Fairlight, it was actually a sampler. Any sound samples on 'One Vision' or 'The Works' album are on that one.
8.PD 08 Dec 2002 18:27
The most important thing is to discuss these details at all, even if not on a dayly basis. I'm actually happy to see you on the board as the first regular poster except me. You know before you joined I started to think about what shall I do if there will be no poster at all within a half year.
I know your posts on various other forums, I think they are quite mind-provoking, and that's something positive. There are some theories of yours that are questionable, but there's nothing wrong with that until others post their counter-arguments.
 There are number of question I wish we could simply ask from the surviving band mambers or studio

> On '39 the part I think of Freddie is before the 2nd Verse,
> Roger starts his screams alone, then is joined by a mukti-tracked
> harmony, I think the entire harmony there is by Freddie.
It's possible, even though it's not easy to tell as the harmonies are "melt" together.

> For 'All Dead' I think Brian composed it on piano, that's not
> the type of song he would write on guitar,
Brian told in an inteview that writing on piano helps him to break free from the world of his usual songwriting. As for All Dead: in terms of both functional harmony and song form it is not particularly experimental. The chords are simple "guitar chords": F, Gm, Am, Bb, C, Dm (I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi of F major), A is used instead of Am during the Verses (d-minor). Leaving Home Ain't Easy is a lot more complex.  

> I think Freddie might have helped him on the arrangements of the intro,
> or probably that part was made by him.
That's what I suppose too.

> I didn't say 'Night Comes Down' had organ, I said Liar, Loser In The End
> and Now I'm Here.
Oops, sorry about "Night Comes Down".
Loser In The End? I can hear two kind of strange noises, both of them I would identify as guitar:
1 - a strangely effected guitar sound. I'm not an expert of guitar effects but it's something familiar for me. Maybe it's a kind of "chorus" effect. Something similar is used in the guitar solo of "What It Takes" by Aerosmith or "I'll Be There" by Bon Jovi.
2 - an extremly distorted and also flanged noise in the outro. I think that's guitar too, check out the feedback at 3:26.
did you talk about something else then these?

> for now the people of "John can't sing" are winning.
That's what band members (including John himself) keep saying. The counter-proofs are not strong enough in my opinion.

>By the way, can you tell me what the hell is IMO?
IMO = in my opinion. IMHO = in my humble opinion. OTOH = on the other hand. These are my favourites.

> You know, I made some investigations, and the Emulator II,
> the synth the band used on the time of 'A Kind Of Magic',
> could make great piano sounds, so they could have used it on 'Scandal'.
Thank you for your investigation. No many fans are doing such investigations. The Scandal "piano" IMO does not sound deceptively like a piano. I think if they wanted to record something that sounds exactly like a piano, they'd have actually used one.

> By the way, on 'Innuendo' there's an organ,
where exactly? (min:sec) (sorry I have not checked this song now)

> By the way, Freddie had a Kurzeil K-250
Where do you know such details for? From interviews?

> For last, on 'Las Palabras' there's a funny thing, on the first verse,
> the pad Brian wasplaying sounds a little after it was supposed to be.
Do you mean the synth figure overlaps the beginning of the first Verse? I think it was something intended. Shades of Death On Two Legs (Intro I - II transition). The transition in question (LPDA) goes slightly out of synchron, but it can be a simple "fermata".

> I've said so much, haven't I?
No problem, sir. You know I'm not on your level of expertise in synths, so I can't discuss this topic very in depth.

9.Sebastian 09 Dec 2002 00:31
Yes you're right, I do know things about synths and guitars, but you know a lot about musical functions and stuff, and although you do know things about who played what... and I know things about music, we complement each other so nice.

Brian wrote easily on piano, but his piano songs weren't as complex, like Too Much Love, it's easy too, and as pianist/guitarist myself, I find Too Much love much simpler than All Dead. We can't tell if Brian wrote it on piano or guitar by looking if it's complex or not, but looking at the style. Most ballads are piano originated, although I think Leaving Home is on guitar, the chord progression is not what you usually should play on keyboards.

About the sorry I said at first, it was just being polite, you don't need to answer every sentence I say, some stuff are just for filling gasps.

Yeah, some rare interviews mention data about the instruments, I've made a lot of research, some clues are given on the credits (Mr. Bad Guy credits mention the Kurzweil brand and the K-250 was the model released in 1983), but most of it is thanks to my ears, because I've listened to a million synths and have some ideas of how they sound. Mostly the kind of keyboards Freddie used were popular models, like the Emulator II, which was also used by Rick Wakeman, or the Roland that also Duran Duran had, or the Yamaha Brian played on One Vision and Who Wants To Live Forever is the famous DX-7, the most classic synth ever...

The synchronisation on Las Palabras is, IMHO, an accident, but turned out pretty well.

On Innuendo the organ is around the intro I think, there are so many keyboards and I don't remember the exact time. I asked my dad about the sound of it and he told me that he thinks that on 1990 the music software was already so advanced to recreate that sound on MIDI, but on 1988 no. That would mean the organ on Breakthrou is a real organ, but the Innuendo one is synths. Still he's not sure yet, but I really think that the MIDI sound of that organ couldn't be done until, for instance, 1995 or so. I'll have to check out...

Loser ... I don't remember now, yes there are guitar effects but there's a sound I always considered an organ, but I don't use to listen that song so often (I usually skip it when I'm listening to Queen II)

About John, he's so shy and sometimes I don't even believe him. The band members haven't been asked so much about that topic and there are very but very but very few comments I've heard about "John never sang in the studio", I've hear things like "I can't sing" or "voices of just the three of us" but never saw the word never on those comments. Still band members contradict themselves sometimes; Brian claimed to have played a toy koto on 'Teo' and Roger once said John played keyboards and guitars on 'Crazy Little Thing' when there are no keyboards and I have a comment from the same Roger on 1980 saying it was Freddie on guitar. Brian said the first recording ever made was Keep Yourself Alive at De Lane Lea in 1971 and there are demos of Polar Bear from 1970 circulating around... So, they're no perfect. But, still, I don't share the "John never sang" thought, but I respect it, and that's why I don't talk about it anymore, until I find arguments.

If you listen to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at the intro, that's 100% Freddie, also the harmonies on 'Take My Breath Away' are all by him, and 'Love Of My Life', and on '39 the voices sound the same, except for the higher which is by Roger. That's how I identify who are on the harmonies. Although it's hard when they're combined to tell who is on the top and who on the bottom, because the ears naturally go to the top voice and leave the others in a second level. I'm practicing on it a lot though.

By the way (dam it, I can't help but use that expression every now and then), I've just finished my synth research on Queen (the synth research of Beatles was so quick since synths didn't exist until 'Abbey Road', and then they didn't record anymore, lol), leaving only one fact on the air, which is the whole 'Innuendo' organ thing, but for the rest I know exactly which synth was used for each song and who played it. Any question, you can ask me.

Next chapter ... guitars, and then pianos!

For a little prelude, the guitar brands are an easy way of discovering who played them. As well as synths, everybody played guitar on the band, but there are some tips. Brian used always the Red Special except for 'Crazy Little Thing' and 'Long Away'. I've heard somewhere that 'Mother Love' is with a Parker Fly and it does have sense because it matches the sound. But all the rest of electric guitars than the RS found on Queen records have to be played by one of the others.

Roger liked the Sketchers, and hated the Gibsons. John used a Kramer somewhere and also wasn't so used to the Gibsons, and Freddie would play anything laying around, and all of them loved the Telecasters and Stratocasters. On some songs, like 'Calling All Girls' or 'I Want To Break Free', there are lot of non-Red Special things, so my research is about to begin.

See you later.

Have fun
10.PD 10 Dec 2002 11:50
> Brian wrote easily on piano, but his piano songs weren't as complex,
I wish we knew more exactly what songs were written originally on piano. Brian often says he wrotes first the tunes in his head, but I guess usually he writes music with instrumental accompaniment.

> I find Too Much love much simpler than All Dead.
"Too Much Love" has more "chromatic" notes. The accompaniment can be easier to play though.

> We can't tell if Brian wrote it on piano or guitar by looking
> if it's complex or not, but looking at the style.
Several licks are tell us it was probably created on guitar. The tipical guitar songs by Brian are in the keys A major or D major. Brian's piano songs too tend to stay in guitar-friendly keys (he rarely uses flat-side keys with more than one "b" (Bb, Eb, Ab,...)

> although I think Leaving Home is on guitar, the chord progression
> is not what you usually should play on keyboards.
It is not a tipical chord progression for guitar either.

> That would mean the organ on Breakthrou is a real organ,
It definitely sound deceptively so.

> I don't remember now, yes there are guitar effects but there's
> a sound I always considered an organ,
Let me know, If you've found it.

> very few comments I've heard about "John never sang in the studio",
The last time it was Brian having said something about this in "Inside The Rhapsody".

> Brian claimed to have played a toy koto on 'Teo'
Brian has said wrong title.

> and Roger once said John played keyboards and guitars on 'Crazy Little Thing'
Wrong song title again. John really must have played guitars and keyboards on one (or more) of the Game-era songs that Roger must have thought about.

> I have a comment from the same Roger on 1980 saying it was Freddie on guitar.
This version is confirmed by Brain too.

> I don't share the "John never sang" thought,
Frankly I too have vague doubt. There is the BoRhap cover by Bad News featuring John Deacon, but probably not on bass.

> If you listen to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' at the intro,
> that's 100% Freddie, also the harmonies on 'Take My Breath Away'
> are all by him, and 'Love Of My Life',
That's what I think too.

> And on '39 the voices sound the same, except for the higher
> which is by Roger.
Roger's voice during the Bridge is the lead one. The harmonies in question, as you said sounds like Freddie, even if the single vocal parts can't be identified by their singer.
Again these are the kind of details that I wish they would write a book about using reliable sources/references.

> I've just finished my synth research on Queen
If you want to be discussed more heavily you can bring it to other forums than this too.

> (the synth research of Beatles was so quick since synths didn't exist
> until 'Abbey Road', and then they didn't record anymore, lol),
Several other keyboards would make their appearances on earlier Beatles records though...

> Any question, you can ask me.
The think I'm curious is that those arpeggios on Hot Space were done live (Like the LPDA video suggests) / with or without arpeggiattor / or were just sequenced.
The same with the crazy synth figures in "Machines".
I'm also curious of how an eletric piano works, and how does a plastic piano look like. In fact I've don't know how do a harmonium work.

> Next chapter ... guitars, and then pianos!
I suggest discussing it era by era, not the entire songbook at once.

> Brian used always the Red Special except for 'Crazy Little Thing'
> and 'Long Away'.
Long Away? Tell me more about it!

> I've heard somewhere that 'Mother Love' is with a Parker Fly
> and it does have sense because it matches the sound. But all the
> rest of electric guitars than the RS found on Queen records
> have to be played by one of the others.
Once you've identified one of the distorted guitar overdubs as played on a Kramer guitar by only it's sound. But I thought that the sound you have heard of that guitar was not sufficient to identify it.

> John used a Kramer somewhere and also wasn't so used to the Gibsons,
Could you add related links as references?
11.Sebastian 10 Dec 2002 15:34
> It is not a tipical chord progression for guitar either.

You're right, but Brian was used to play rare progressions on guitar (having to learn Freddie's songs like Bicycle Race), while on piano he used to do simple stuff.

>The last time it was Brian having said something about this in "Inside The Rhapsody".

Can you tell me where can I find a transcription or a recording of that Inside Rhapsody thing? you talk about that so much and I'm curious about it

> There is the BoRhap cover by Bad News featuring John Deacon, but probably not on bass.

Yes that cover is on backing vocals, credited and all

> Several other keyboards would make their appearances on earlier Beatles records though...

Yes, but for the moment I was into synths, no more, I'll work on mellotrones and claviolines later...

> The think I'm curious is that those arpeggios on Hot Space were done live (Like the LPDA video suggests) / with or without arpeggiattor / or were just sequenced.

The arpeggios Brian is playing on the video don't match the ones on the song. It's so easy to make arpeggios around the D or E chords like in 'Las Palabras' or 'Action', even Roger could do them, but they have no harmonic order, so they must be on the arpeggiator, which doesn't mean they weren't good pianists.

> The same with the crazy synth figures in "Machines".

The crazy synth is a sampler, the Fairlight, it has some "battle" sounds to make an environment of fight between the human band and the synth band. It's programmed by Mack.

> I'm also curious of how an eletric piano works, and how does a plastic piano look like. In fact I've don't know how do a harmonium work.

A Grand Electric Piano is similar to a grand acoustic one, just the sound is more "electric" and you plug it. A normal electric piano (like the one John used on Best Friend, which is not the one he plays on the video) had the same size as a synthesiser, and has some voices (the Fender Rhodes used on the Beatles could do guitar-like noises as well). The plastic piano was a cheap sample given to the band, an upright Yamaha, just like the "Jangle Piano", which was another upright acoustic. The harmonium is another keyboard similar to an organ in sound, in fact all the keyboards are kind of the same in their exterior, they're not very different from each other.

> Long Away? Tell me more about it!

It's a 12-string Burns, I'll look for the interview where he said that and I'll give it to you

> Once you've identified one of the distorted guitar overdubs as played on a Kramer guitar by
only it's sound. But I thought that the sound you have heard of that guitar was not sufficient
to identify it.

Parker Fly is not a Kramer, they're different. By other side, each guitar, due to the effects added, does have a different sound that is recognizable, or else it would be the same to have a Grazioso or a Les Paul.

> Could you add related links as references?

Jazz inner sleeve has a kramer, a stratocaster and a danelectro bass. The bass wasn't used at all, but the guitars were, and Brian didn't, so John did.
12.Sebastian 10 Dec 2002 18:50
Two more things:

1. Can you give me you mail address? there's something I've got to tell you in private

2. About 'Las Palabras' and 'Action', I think Freddie programmed the arpeggiator. He was always the most technical with synths.
13.PD 13 Dec 2002 07:13
> You're right, but Brian was used to play rare progressions
> on guitar (having to learn Freddie's songs like Bicycle Race),
> while on piano he used to do simple stuff.
Piano ang guitar have different "philosophy". I wish I knew more about the piano approach, I mean if you're in F you are using one black key, if you modulate to Bb you bring in one more black key. On guitar it works different way: there are no black keys only open strings and open chords that make some keys more guitarfriendly. A C > A modulation on guitar is nothing special, but on piano you must re-think which black keys can you use. I guess the guitar approach is chord oriented.

> The arpeggios Brian is playing on the video don't match the
> ones on the song.
Did you check this closely?

> It's programmed by Mack.
programmed = sequenced the tune?

> A Grand Electric Piano is similar to a grand acoustic one,
> just the sound is more "electric" and you plug it.
But how the basic signal is generated? Via pick-ups like in guitars?

> A normal electric piano (like the one John used
> on Best Friend, which is not the one he plays on
> the video) had the same size as a synthesiser...
Just an idea: could you search pictures of these instruments and link them here?

> The plastic piano was a cheap sample given to the band,
> an upright Yamaha,
Is it a piano made of plastic instead of wood?

Lomg Away
> It's a 12-string Burns,
Yeah, right. It's a twelve string e-guitar.

> Jazz inner sleeve has a kramer, a stratocaster and
> a danelectro bass.
I guess they have not used most of those guitars. There is an ukelele too on the photo. Too bad there is hardly any photo of Queen workingin the studio.
14.Sebastian 13 Dec 2002 12:18
> I guess they have not used most of those guitars. There is an ukelele too on the photo. Too bad there is hardly any photo of Queen workingin the studio.

Yeah, but if there's ga guitar different to the Red Special on that album (and there are some) it has to be either a Strat or a Kramer.

I too play the intro of 'Las Palabras', and what I do it arpeggiate the chord notes, if you check, Brian also does it on the video, but on the song they doesn't sound like that. There are two tracks of arpeggios done on the arpeggiator that make that sound.

Mack did sequence the tune of the part you said on 'Machines'

By the way, I just got the 'Inside The Rhapsody' thing and it's so nice.

I never thought about the plastic piano if it was on plastic instead of wood, are the "plastic" guitars made of plastic? if so, that's possible
pages 1